Delizioso Italian Recipes, Recipes To Serve A Traditional Italian Eight Course Meal
Let's Gather Around The Table
Welcome Friends... As we gather around my virtual dinner table (lol), it brings me great pleasure to share some really delicious Italian recipes. I just love Italian cuisine! Pasta, seafood dishes, pastries... simply delizioso!! And who could forget the crusty breads, olives, cheese, and wine? Please have a seat and enjoy some of the most appetizing dishes Italy has to offer. What more can I say? Mangia! Mangia!!
The Traditional Italian Meal:
Antipasto (means "before the pasta") - hot or cold appetizers
Primo (first course) - pasta, gnocchi, soups,risotto, or polenta
Secondo (second course) - main dish of fish or meat (veal, pork, or chicken)
Contorno (side dish) - salad or cooked vegetable
Formaggio and Frutta (cheese and fruit) - grapes, citrus fruits, peaches, apricots
Dolce (dessert) - cakes, cookies
Caffe' (coffee) - espresso
Digestive (liquers) - grappa, limoncello, amaro
A Taste Of Italy (Recipes)
- 1/2 pound sharp provolone cheese, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 8 pepperoncini peppers
- 4 radishes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 12 thin Genoa salami slices
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil*
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Breadsticks, crackers, or sliced Italian bread
1. Arrange provolone cheese and next 5 ingredients on a serving platter; drizzle with olive oil. Squeeze juice from lemon over antipasto, and sprinkle with next 3 ingredients. Serve immediately with breadsticks, crackers, or sliced Italian bread.
*2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley may be substituted.
PENNE FILETTO DI POMODORO
2. Crush tomatoes and add with juices to onion and prosciutto mixture. Add basil, salt & pepper to taste and a little water.
3. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce thickens.
5. Drain pasta, put back in pot add some of the sauce to the pot and mix it up. Dish out pasta spooning remaining sauce over top.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves without skin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (1/2 to 1 cup sliced)
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
Pound chicken to 1/4" thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and basil; mix well. Heat oil and butter in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour mixture. Cook chicken until lightly browned on first side (about 2 to 3 minutes). Turn chicken and add mushrooms around the chicken pieces. Cook about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned; stir the mushrooms. Add Marsala wine to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
SPINACI IN TEGAME
1 lb. frozen spinach
2 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1. Bring the spinach to a boil to thaw it and simmer for a few minutes, remove from heat drain and let cool.
2. Once cool squeeze out the excess water and then chop the spinach thinly.
3. In a skillet heat the olive oil and garlic cloves. Once hot add the spinach and cook at a medium heat for about 5 minutes mixing frequently. Add the salt and combine well.
CHEESE AND FRUIT PLATTER
- 1 wedge (about 8 ounces) Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 wedge (about 8 ounces) Fontina or Taleggio
- 1 wedge (about 6 ounces) Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 fresh figs, quartered
- 1 cluster seedless red grapes
- 1 cluster seedless green grapes
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup whole shelled walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced
Arrange the cheeses together on 1 very large platter, or separately on small platters. Drizzle the honey around the Gorgonzola cheese. Arrange some of the fresh and dried fruits, nuts, and bread on the large cheese platter. Arrange the rest of the fruit and nuts on another platter. Serve, allowing guests to compose their own assortment of cheese, fruit, nuts, and bread on their plate.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1-cup sour cream
- 3/4-cup oil
- 1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 8 oz. chopped cherries
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate melted
- 4 drops each red and green food color
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Beat items 1-5 together for 2 minutes.
- Divide into 3 bowls.
- 1. Add nuts an and green food color.
- 2. Add cherries and red food color.
- 3. Add chocolate and almond.
- Grease Bundt pan well.
- Pour 1, then 2, and then 3.
- Don’t swirl.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Cool 10 Min.
- Remove Cool.
- Sprinkle with confectionery sugar
ESPRESSO CON PANNA
A single or double espresso shot topped with whipped cream
- 12 lemons
- 1 liter 100 proof-vodka
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
Wash the lemons thoroughly. Using a peeler, take off the skins being careful not to get any of the white lemon "pith" onto your peelings or it will add bitterness to your limoncello. Place peels into a large wide-mouth jar with all the vodka. Seal tightly. Place the jar in a cool, dry place for 2 to 3 weeks. Shake the jar to remix everything everyday or so. You will notice the color of the liquid changing to yellow as the peels lose their color.
After 1 week, dissolve the sugar completely with the water by heating it on the stove in a large saucepan. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Strain the lemon peels from the alcohol and discard. Mix the alcohol with the simple syrup. At this point you can serve it right away or pour the alcohol into a bottle with the simple syrup and place in the freezer to chill. Once chilled it becomes thick and syrupy.