Indian Desert : Phirni
When I was in college, one of my friends insists me to try this dish in a Bengali restaurant and from then, I felt in love with Phirni. It is milk and rice based sweet dish. It is popular in North India and Pakistan. There are differ types of Phirni like Badam Phirni, Kesar Phirni, Rice Phirni, Mango Phirni etc. Phirni recipe is very easy and can be prepared with various common and exotic ingredients.
Here I’ll describe the Phirni prepared by rice and milk only. It is easy to make and available in every kitchen.
History of Phirni
I am not very much sure about the exact history or the origin of Phirni, but it is believed to be originated from Kashmir during the Mughal Empire in India.
- Mughlai Chicken Recipe : A spicy Indian Chicken Dish
- Kashmiri Chicken Recipe
- Dhania (Coriander) Chicken Recipe
- Navratan Korma Recipe : Mixed Vegetable Indian Dish
- Recipe : Paneer (Cottage cheese) in Hot Garlic Sauce
- Recipe: Veg Sweet Corn Soup
- Schezwan Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- Healthy Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes : Indian Style
- Pinneapple Raita Recipe
- Vegetable Fried Ball : Indian Snacks
- Indian Desert: Kalakand
- 3 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 th cup rice, soaked for 2-3 hours & ground to a fine paste
- 1 tsp kewra water or rose water (optional)
- 5-6 seeds of green pista
- 4-5 almonds, sliced into thin long pieces
- 1/4 th cup , or to taste sugar, powdered
- 5-6 seeds of green cardamom, powdered
- Soak rice in a little water for 2-3 hours.Grind in mixer with little water to a very fine paste.
- Boil the milk in a pan and simmered for few minutes.
- Mix the ground rice and milk in a dish.Stirred continuously in order to get a smooth paste.
- Cooked on low flame(approx for 6-8 mins) until milk thickens.Stir with wire whisk,after sometimes to prevent lumps formation.Break lumps if any.
- Add sugar.Mix well and cook for 1-2 mins and stirring in between.
- Mix well.Cool.Add rose/kewra water and cardamom powder.Pour in individual bowls.
- Decorate with green pista, almond and cardamom powder.
- Serve chilled after 2-3 hours.
- Try it and taste ...
This dish can also be prepared in microwave with same duration of time.
Serving of Phirni deals with unique style. Traditionally it is poured in separate clay pots (bowl) and is served separately. To make it more traditional and natural, it is eaten with wooden spoon.
|Serving size: 1 (100 gm), for 6 persons (600 gm)|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 10 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 22 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Have you ever had Phirni?
1) Use wide bottomed non-stick pan for cooking purpose, because milk thickens quicker in this type of pan and give you the best result.
2) To make it more attractive, place Silver paper/ foil on top of the Phirni and take it out carefully.
© 2012 M K Paul