Pan fried Salmon With spicy Oven Roasted Broccoli: An unconventional recipe
Rate my very own recipe of Desi Salmon
Desi is a term used to describe Pakistani people and their foods,culture, and values and spices and much more... All about the people of the Indian sub continent.its a term that connects all these people from our region and they use this term to describe things which belong to their own country. Desi is a word derived from 'Des' which means "country and in that sense "desi" means " from one's own country. My purpose of elaborating the term"desi" is to make its meaning clear as I would be using it in my recipes every now and then. I just do not want to be using the words that readers are unfamiliar with. This recipe of salmon is called desi style because instead of using the common dressings and batters or seasonings of salmon (and I am sure they are all pretty unique and worth trying) uses desi spices. I created this recipe (almost) myself... I hope the you enjoy the flavors and "desiness" of this recipe.
- 1 lb bag Of broccoli florets, Fresh or frozen
- 4 Wild caught Salmon Fillet, (Choose your own favorite variety of salmon)
- 5 table spoons Olive oil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder, Or paste
- 1 tsp Ginger powder or paste
- 1/4 tsp Salt for broccoli
- 1/2 tsp salt for Salmon fillets, Use more or less as per taste.
- 1/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander powder, Or mix dhania zeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder, Or all spice powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder, (Zeera powder)
- A pinch Of ajwain, (carom seeds)
- 1/4 cup Besan flour or all purpose flour, ( or Just enough for dusting the fillets.)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lemon juice
How to Make oven roasted broccoliClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe of oven roasted broccoli
- Toss the brocolli florets( fresh or frozen) in a bowl with a pinch of salt or more as per taste(ideally 1/2 tsp).
- Add a bit garam masala or chicken seasoning(optional) Or chaat masala.
- Add a pinch of red chili powder or paprika powder,1-2 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 tsp of ginger paste and mix well to coat the florets really well.
- Before marinating the salmon fillets turn the oven heat on to preheat it to 400 F.
- Place the brocolli florets on a baking sheet without overlapping and put on the first oven rack and cook on 350-400 for about 30 minutes.
- After 25-30 minutes, open the oven door and turn the florets over and cook for another 15 minutes or until the desired texture is acquired.
- My family prefers well done broccoli, if you like a bit crunch then cook a bit less may be 30 minutes total with turning once in between.
- I even like to give my brocolli a bit charred look by using the broiler setting for last 2-3 minutes .
I used fresh organic broccoli and wild caught salmon fillets from a local organic market.Use salmon and broccoli according to your own choice and availability.
Recipe of desi style Salmon
- Take out the salmon from freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator for few hours or outside for about half an hour on room temperature.
- Squeeze Fresh lemons on thawed salmon fillets along with garlic and coat really well and leave it for few minutes.
- Now check if there is some water that salmon oozed out , discard it carefully from the side of the utensil and let the lemon and garlic paste do the rest of the work.
- Now sprinkle all the spices mentioned in the ingredients and rub on really well making sure it is well coated on both sides.
- Leave the marinated salmon fillets for about 45 minutes in the refrigerator the more the better.
- Spread besan flour or all purpose flour just a little , enough to thinly coat salmon fillets in a flat plate. ( about 1/4 cup should be enough)
- Do not coat the salmon too well just give roll the fillets once on both sides and pat to remove any excess coating. The purpose is just to prevent the seasoning from wasting while cooking.( see pictures).
- Heat 2-3 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil or regular olive oil and cook the coated fillets on a low flame for few minutes on each side. I like my salmon a bit try so I apply a bit pressure with a spatula to make sure the inner juices ooze out and run clear. If you want really moist salmon then just cook on medium heat for few inured on each side until the outer covering is light brown and a bit crispy.
- Take out the salmon fillets on a platter by using a slotted spoon. Serve with delicious oven roasted broccoli.
I came across this nice aromatic fish seasoning blend.
How to prepare and cook salmonClick thumbnail to view full-size
For more desi and spicy recipes check out my other hubs.
Which Salmon is better in your opinion ?
© 2015 Ash