Dessert Comfort Food: Peach Cobbler Recipe
EASY DESSERT RECIPES
If you're looking for an easy dessert recipe and one that's quick and easy to make, this peach cobbler recipe will fit the bill.
You can make this dessert any time of year and it makes a wonderful comfort food end to most any kind of meal, whether it's baby back ribs with peach BBQ sauce or roasted chicken.
Peach cobbler is best served warm or rewarmed with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream but people at my house have been known to eat it at room temp rather than wait to heat it up! It's that good.
Don't forget to make up your homemade baking mix and have that on hand for use in this simple recipe for peach cobbler. You can of course substitute commercial baking mix like Bisquick.
RECIPE FOR PEACH COBBLER
Adapted from Betty Crocker Heart Health Cookbook
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon or more cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium) or 4 cups of drained canned peach slices in juice or thawed frozen peach slices
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 batch of 2+ cups homemade Bisquick baking mix combined with 1/2 cup of milk or buttermilk to make biscuit topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray an 8 x 8 pan or small casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Mix sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in saucepan. Add peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to boil (about 4-5 minutes). Boil and stir for 1 additional minute. Turn peach mixture out into prepared pan and set aside.
Mix the baking mix batter and milk or buttermilk just until moistened but don't overmix. You can either turn out the biscuit dough and knead for a few turns, then cut out biscuits with a drinking glass or biscuit cutter....or merely mix and spoon onto hot peach mixture as drop biscuits.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden. Serve with sweetened or unsweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or low fat frozen yogurt.
Makes 1 pan or 6-8 servings.
COBBLER RECIPE IDEAS
Try these for variety
- Apple cobbler
- Peach and apple cobbler
- Peach and apple cobbler
- Pear cobbler
- Raspberry cobbler
- Blackberry cobbler
- Cherry cobbler
- Mixed berry cobbler
- Combine apples, peaches and pears
TIPS FOR OTHER COBBLERS
- Omit cinnamon for berry cobblers
- Increase sugar to 1-1/4 cups for cherry cobbler if using red tart pitted cherries, cornstarch to 3 tablespoons
- Add almond extract and omit lemon juice for berry cobblers or cherry cobbler
Baby Back Ribs Recipe with Homemade Peach BBQ Sauce
ALTERNATIVE BISCUIT TOPPING/BAKING MIX
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, margarine or shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
Mix all dry ingredients.
Mix in the butter in a food processor (pulse 8-10 times) or cut in with pastry blender, 2 knives or a fork until crumbly mixture.
Stir in the milk and then drop by spoonfuls (6 or so) onto hot fruit mixture.
Bake as above.
More Dessert Hubs by This Author
- Healthy Muffin Recipes: Best Oatmeal Muffins How To ...
Many years ago, in fact in the late 1970s, we were living in Michigan and I was a very young miss. I was just starting out with our first son, Jonathan and I was also starting my illustrious cooking career! ...
- Best Muffin Recipes: Recipe For Sour Cream Muffins -...
If you want a seriously easy yet delicious muffin recipe, this is the recipe for you! Sour cream muffins retain their moisture more than any other muffin recipe I've tried. They actually turn out more like...
- Best Quick And Easy Bread Pudding Recipes: Bread Pud...
Making bread pudding from scratch is one of the easiest recipes I have ever encountered and one of the best desserts. It is definitely a comfort food and is a great winter or fall dessert that you can keep...
- Best Dessert And Appetizer Recipes: Mini-Tarts And H...
In the arena of 100-calorie packaging, these little tarts fill the bill. Depending on what ingredients you use, you can keep these little tarts to 100 calories more or less per serving. They work great for...
- Healthy Cheesecake Recipes: Recipe For High Fiber Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Yes, believe it or not - this recipe is high fiber having 2 grams of fiber to it but it is still delicious. Sweet Potato Cheesecake is a recipe that I copied down from one of the high fiber cookbooks I got at...
- Best Cheesecake Recipes: How To Make Mini Cheesecake...
What is better than cheesecake? Mini cheesecakes! I have been searching and searching for a recipe that recreated the texture and taste of a New York cheesecake and have experimented with a lot of different...