- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Dessert Recipe: Party Sized / Punch Bowl Strawberry Shortcake
Punchbowl Strawberry Shortcake
One of the best thing about the arrival of summer is fresh fruit coming into season. One favorite recipe of many is strawberry shortcake. This recipe is large enough to feed ten people and is perfect for cookouts, reunions, and barbecues. It is the perfect ending to a summer meal.
I often take this dessert to events, family gatherings, and to people I visit. Preparing it directly into a large crock pot with a lid makes it portable. I especially love my crock pot because it comes with a tote bag so nothing leaks.
It is important to keep this strawberry shortcake refridgerated until use and do not place it into hot sunlight.
- 1 Pound (16 oz.) Fresh Strawberries, Cleaned/ Sliced
- OR 1 16 oz. Bag Frozen Strawberries, Thawed, drained, pat dry
- 2 Tubs (8 oz.) Strawberry Glaze
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Family Sized (24 oz.) Sarah Lee Pound Cake, (or any other brand), thawed
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Can (7 oz.) Reddi Wip Cream, (or your favorite cream)
No Cooking or Baking Necessary!
- Thaw the Sara Lee Poundcake (you can also use pre made poundcakes from a bakery). Slice the pound cake in thin, even layers. You will use the entire poundcake.
- Wash the fresh strawberries and pat them dry. If using frozen strawberries, drain these in a colander and pat them dry. Clean tops from strawberries and slice them. Put them in a large bowl. Cover strawberries in 2 tablespoons of sugar and the tablespoon of lemon juice. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes. This process will bring out the natural juices of the strawberries.
- Inside a large punchbowl, place a layer of shortcake slices to the bottom of the bowl. Add a layer of sliced strawberries, then a layer of strawberry glaze, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Continue layering until you get to the top of the bowl.
- Top your strawberry shortcake off with the remaining strawberries and glaze. Decorate with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Alternate Directions for Shortcakes
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Many people are fond of the old fashioned type of strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick Mix. This will increase preparation and baking time but can be a lower fat alternative to pound cake. Mix 2 1/4 cups of Bisquick mix with 2/3 cups of milk, 3 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of butter until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 425F. Split warm short cakes into 2 layers. Fill and top shortcakes with strawberries, glazy, and whipped cream.
Blueberry or Peach Shortcake
If you prefer bluberries or peach for your shortcake, you can substitute 16 oz. of fresh or frozen or canned blueberries or peaches with the strawberries. Omit the strawberry glaze. If using canned blueberries or peaches, you do not need to add sugar and lemon juice to this mix.
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 26 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 6 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Fun Facts About Strawberries
Strawberries are a fruit, and the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
The strawberry's closest relative is the rose. It is part of the rose family.
Strawberries have been used as an ancient aphrodisiac. Ancients believed that if you wanted someone to fall in love with you, you should split a strawberry in half, eat one half and give the other to your desired one.
What is your favorite fruit?
Other Strawberry Recipes
- Dip strawberries in chocolate for a lavis treat. Dip in whipped cream.
- Make a strawberry and spinach salad. In a large bowl, toss together the spinach and strawberries. In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 vinegar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 teaspon of paprika, and two tablespoons of sesame seeds. Mix with the spinach and strawberries, and toss to coat.
- Add fresh sliced strawberries to a cup of yogurt, bowl of ceral, or your favorite ice cream!