Dessert for diabetics: Pears in nightshirts
To be a diabetic, you have to take extra special care in what you eat. Pears in Nightshirts is one of many healthy alternatives to the usual sugary sweetness.
Although every individual diabetic has a certain strict diet, most ingredients used in the making of special dishes reflect healthy diabetic dietary needs.
- 4 medium ripe pears, with stalks
- 25 g ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons quark
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 1/2 teaspoon icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.
- Peel and core the pears from the base, ensuring that the stalks stay intact.
- Mix ginger and quark to stuff each pear.
- Sprinkle one sheet of filo with a little water and cover the pears with it. Set them on a non-stick baking tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until crisp and golden. You may need to turn them over while baking to ensure that they are evenly cooked.
- Put the icing sugar in a sieve and sprinkle over the top of the pears. Serve warm.
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Sodium 14 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|