Dhal is indian lentils soup. Great dish for vegan and vegetarians. Lentils are full of vitamins and minerals. Great dish for kids and very easy to make. Great for cold days or simply an excuse to have a soup.
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 Cup Toor Lentils
- 1 small Onion
- 3 Chillies
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee
- 1 Cup Spinach, chopped
- 1 medium Carrot, diced
- To taste Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Tumeric
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 large Tomato
- In a pot put red lentils, toor lentils, water, salt and turmeric and bring it to boil.
- Cook for 10 mins add diced carrots, chopped tomato and cook until carrots are soft 5mins approximately.
- Add spinach and cook for further 5mins or until spinach is cooked. Take the boiled dhal and pour it in a large bowl keep it aside.
- Take the same pan and heat ghee add cumin seeds and let it pop. Add onions and sauté them until they change colour to slightly golden brown colour. Add garlic and chillies cook for 2 mins add boiled dhal and mix well bring it to boil and switch off heat.
- Serve hot with rice or by itself with a teaspoon full of ghee on top. Enjoy yummy dhal.
You can add any green leave vegetables if spinach is not available.
Instead of tomatoes you can add 1/2 a lemon.
You can also add raw mango to add extra flavour.
You can make it without vegetables as well.
Other recipes you might be interested in
- Choc balls
Choc balls are made the same way Rum balls are made but in choc balls you dont put rum.
- South Indian Crepe Dosa
Dosa is made in different ways in south india. It is a very common breakfast in most south indian homes. It takes a lot of practice to make perfect Dosa. The key to making Perfect Dosa is the batter. If your batter is made at the right consistency th
- Easy Tamarind Chutney
Easy tamarind chutney which is sweet, sour and very spicy. You can use this as a relish as well it goes well with sandwiches and rice aswell or as a dip.
Peda is a indian sweet which is usually made of milk. Some people call it milk fudge. Here in my recipe I have used condensed milk and milk powder. The texture is usually semi soft.
- Sweet Chilly Chicken
Indian Chinese inspired food.
© 2014 Asweeni's Kitchen