- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Pork Blood Stew - Dinuguan Recipe
The Famous Dinuguan
One of the most famous dishes in the Philippines is dinuguan. Its name was derived from its root word dugo which means blood. Dinuguan is actually a stew characterized by its main ingredient - fresh blood of a pig combined with pork belly and many other ingredients.
Many people are fond of eating and cooking this type of dish. But before you serve this to the people, you must first consider their tradition as well as their religion. Muslims, for instance, do not eat or even prepare this dish since it’s one of the forbidden foods for them to eat. But if you don’t have any issues or conflicts, follow the recipe below:
You will need:
¼ kilogram pork liver, thinly sliced
½ kilogram pork belly
½ kilogram pork cheeks
3 tablespoon cooking oil
1/3 cup vinegar
2 cups pork blood
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 piece onion (chopped)
2 pieces ginger (chopped)
5 pieces green pepper
How to cook:
1. Pour some cooking oil into a frying pan.
2. Set the fire into high heat and put the pork into the frying pan and stir continuously. Make sure that the pork turns brown and not pink.
3. Add the vinegar then stir again. Let the pork absorb the vinegar.
4. Add the garlic, onions, ginger and the green pepper. Stir.
5. Put the blood into the pan and let it boil. If the blood has solidified, strain it before you pour into the pork.
6. Set the fire into low heat if it boils. Then let it simmer for about 1 to 1 ½ hour until the blood turns brown and you’re sure that the pork is cooked.
7. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add the pork liver if the pork is cooked and tenderized. Then stir again for about 10 minutes.
9. After it is cooked, turn off the fire and place the dish into a serving bowl.
10. Sprinkle some green pepper to a more appealing finish.
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...