- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Disneyland's Broccoli Cheese Soup
Happy New Year everyone! I must admit I am still thinking of resolutions every day that I want to accomplish in 2016 and one of them is publishing more Hubs for you guys. So far there have been a lot of changes for me this year including one of my jobs is closing. I actually feel okay with this because it will give me more time to focus on my Hubs.
Now onto happier things! I think there is nothing better to start off the new year than with a delicious soup recipe. I personally love the broccoli cheddar soup served at Disneyland. In the colder months I love getting a bowl of this soup and taking a much needed break from walking around the park. I have been wanting to do this recipe ever since I started Hubbing but finding it was a whole other monster! It took a really long time but I finally got it. I think this will be great to make in the chilly weather we have been having lately in SoCal. I love eating this soup with some sourdough toast or even some cheddar crackers. The thing I love most about this soup is how easy and quick it is! I hope you will give it a try and love it as much as I do.
Have you ever had broccoli cheddar soup at Disneyland before?
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 small broccoli crown
- Simmer the chicken broth in a saucepan for 15-20 minutes, covered.
2. Heat the milk in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Set milk aside once warmed.
3. In a separate pot, melt the butter and then add the flour, salt, and pepper.
4. Cook mixture about 2 minutes on medium heat and whisk in the warmed milk.
5. Cook about 6-8 minutes until the soup starts to thicken.
6. Add in the warmed chicken broth to the soup mix and stir until well blended.
7. Add cheeses and stir until the cheese is melted completely.
8. Stir in the cooked broccoli.
9. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Just A Few Tips!
- I had a really difficult time in finding grated swiss cheese, as in I couldn't find any at all. I decided to buy a small block of swiss cheese and grate it by hand. It was super quick!
- If your soup is a little bit on the thin side you can add more flour to it and simmer it longer until it reaches your desired thickness. I personally like it on the thinner side just because sometimes after it sits the soup will thicken on its own.
- In order to make this recipe a little bit faster, I decided to use frozen broccoli florets. I steamed it in the microwave and set it aside to cool once it was cooked. Once it cooled a bit, I chopped up the florets and the little bit of stems.
- When you are mixing the butter, flour, and milk mixture be sure to get all the clumps out. No one wants clumpy flour balls in their soup!
- I used a whisk for most of the mixing but when you add in the cheeses and the broccoli you will probably want to use a spoon. The cheese before it is melted will get stuck in the whisk and the broccoli will as well which sort of causes a mess.
Will you be trying out this recipe?
I love how simple and quick this recipe is! I can just imagine making this on a cold day and serving in sourdough bread bowls. How great and delicious would that be?! I hope you all have had a wonderful start to the new year and you can expect more Hubs from me in the future! As always if you have any requests about anything please feel free to leave me a comment and I will try my best to accommodate your request!