- Food and Cooking
Southern Divinity Candy
Divinity is a very old "southern candy." Most people you ask nowadays will give a blank stare if asked if they've ever tried Divinity(At least up here in the north) This recipe was passed down from generation to generation down in North Carolina. I hope you enjoy it!
- 4 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Karo syrup
- 3/4 Cup water
- 3 Egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Broken walnuts or pecans, If desired
- I am going to type his word for word as my grandmother wrote it. Bear with me.
- Place in saucepan over low heat 4 cups of sugar, 1 cup Karo Syrup, 3/4 cup water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Then cook to 255 and is hard.
- Remove from heat and pour slowly while beating constantly in a fine stream into: 3 egg whites beaten until stiff. Continue beating until mix holds it's shape and loses it's gloss. It Must not be glassy, shiny, or glossy.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and add 1 cup of the pecans or walnuts. Drop from the tip of a spoon on to wax paper in peaks.
© 2013 Dannell