Dixie Dumplings Hot Butterscotch Cake and Sauce
Ready to Eat
Dixie Dumplings Baked Pudding, Best Family Recipe
Possibly better called a spoon cake. Easy and quick to make this recipe creates warm dumplings which are light, moist and buttery floating in a sauce like liquid butterscotch drops. This is the flavor of true butterscotch, not at all like those cheap yellow candy disks, think Callard and Bowsers or Werther's Butterscotch in liquid form. Decadent. delicious, fattening and a diabetic's downfall.
Best of all you can have it on the table in less than an hour,
One of Mom’s best recipes, she doesn’t remember where it came from but it has been a family favorite for many years and always got rave reviews from company and church suppers.
Ingredients, for the dumplings (cake)
Serves 8 to 10 Advance preparation and ingredients
Serves 8 to 10
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2+1/2 quart casserole, 2 quart saucepan, mixing bowl,
Ingredients for Dumpling batter
- 2 Cups Flour, (Cake or All Purpose)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
Dumpling batter ready to cook
Preparation of dumpling batter:
Sift flour with salt and baking powder so it is well blended
- Melt butter DO NOT make it hot, just barely melted.
- Blend flour mixture with the butter, eggs, milk and sugar
- Do not over-mix Just blend the ingredients, over mixing will make dumplings tough
- Set this batter aside while you make the sauce
Ingredients for sauce
- 1 Cup Butter
- 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Make the sauce and bake
Make the sauce and bake
Place butter, light brown sugar, water and vanilla in a 2 to 3 quart sauce pan.
- This will bubble up quite a bit so it may boil over in a pot that is too small
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmer for 3 minutes, Stir frequently
- Pour boiling sauce into the 2+1/2 quart casserole
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot sauce.
- It is important that the sauce be very hot, this starts the batter cooking.
- Place casserole in the oven at 425 degrees,
- Bake until the dumplings are done and the sauce has thickened, 20 minutes or more.
- Insert a toothpick into the thickest dumplings, if it comes out clean they are done
- Serve warm and enjoy
If you grew up with Bill Cosby hawking Jell-O puddings this might be a surprise to you. This recipe is more closely related to the British puddings that some of us may have only seen in literature. The British have a long history of baked puddings like Christmas Plum pudding or perhaps a wonderful English Trifle and this recipes owes its existence to that type of cooking