- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Double Baked Potato Au Gratin
These potatoes are good enough to serve on their own with a garden salad. Try them at your next BBQ your guests will be impressed. Full of flavour and deliriously good they also have wow factor at a dinner party. Serve them with a tender steak and baby beans and carrots. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers scroll down to the end of the recipe for ideas on how to use them.
How Do You Rate This Recipe?
Prep & Cooking Time
- 4 medium to large Coliban Potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar or Longhorn cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper and paprika, to taste
- 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons chives (stalk ends of green onions), chopped
Putting It All Together
- Thoroughly clean the potatoes, prick the skins with a sharp knife and bake in a preheated 220 degree (Celsius) 425 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for 45 minutes. Or until tender.
- Cut off the top of each potato (you won't be needing them so eat them if you like). Using a spoon carefully scoop out the insides of the potato (leaving the skins intact) and place in a large bowl
- Mash the potato thoroughly and add the sour cream, cheddar or Longhorn cheese, parmesan cheese, green onions, chives, milk, salt, pepper and paprika. Beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Carefully spoon the mixture back into the skin shells.
- Place them in a covered baking pan and return to the oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
- If you wish you can add more cheese and paprika to the top before returning them to the oven but I really don't think they need it.
Planned Leftovers Breakfast
So you have made extras, popped them into the fridge and managed to stop your guests from eating them, now you can cook them up for breakfast or brunch the next morning.
Take them out of the fridge and cut into 1/2 inch slices and pan fry in a little butter or olive oil and serve with bacon and eggs.