- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Double Chocolate Peppermint Christmas Cookies - Recipe with Pictures
At Christmas time and throughout the year, my family loves to make this delicious recipe for cookies - made of chocolate, peppermint, and candy canes or the round peppermint candies. While they may take slightly longer to make than your other favorite cookies, you'll certainly appreciate the time you put into them as you sink your teeth into them with a cold glass of milk and take in some of your favorite combinations - chocolate and peppermint.
The favorite tastes of the season and all year round are here with a double chocolate cookie with a hidden peppermint surprise in the center (a peppermint patty) and topped with decadent chocolate and peppermint candy or candy cane crumbles. These go fast, so you may want to double the recipe!
If you are looking to create these delicious cookies, but need a gluten-free variation, please see the Gluten Free Option notes beneath the ingredients list.
Did You Know?
Adding instant espresso to chocolate mixtures give the chocolate a more profound flavor!
- 2 1/2 cups Bittersweet chocolate chips, divided *
- 1 1/2 cups Flour, all purpose *
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder *
- 1 tsp Baking powder *
- 1 tsp Instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract *
- 1 tsp Peppermint extract *
- 2 Eggs, large
- 4 Candy canes, or 16 hard peppermint candies *
- 8 Mini peppermint patties, or 2 large *
* Gluten Free Substitutions
For those who need the gluten free option, please see below for ingredients that are gluten free per their manufacturer. Be sure to double check any ingredients prior to using them as sometimes manufacturers change their recipes for products.
Chocolate chips: Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
Flour: Substitute all-purpose with Almond Flour
Cocoa Powder: HERSHEY'S Cocoa and HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
Baking Powder: Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder (Gluten Free)
Peppermint Extract: McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
Vanilla Extract: Any brand labeled Pure Vanilla Extract
Candy Canes: Bobs Candy Canes
Peppermint Patties: Hershey's York Peppermint Patties
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take the small peppermint patties and cut into quarters. If you are using the large peppermint patties, cut them into 16 pieces by cutting three vertical slices and three horizontal slices. Set aside.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 45 seconds on high power then stir. If they need to be melted more, continue microwaving in 10 second intervals and stirring. Repeat until all chocolate chips have melted. Measure 2/3 cup of melted chocolate and place in a small microwave safe bowl for the topping to be used later.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. It's easier to mix if you use a whisk!
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until it's creamy. Add in the sugar and both the peppermint and vanilla extracts, then beat until smooth. Add eggs and blend. Add in melted chocolate and flour mixture. Combine in the mixer until everything is blended. Do not overmix! Place mixture in the refridgerator for about 5-10 minutes so the dough firms up a little.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of dough and roll into a 1-1/2 inch ball. Use your thumb to press in the center of the ball, then insert one of the peppermint patty pieces into the hole and roll the ball again to completely form the dough around the candy.
- Place balls on the parchment lined baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cookie looks cracked all over, about 9-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to fully cool.
- While cookies are cooling, place the candy canes into a large freezer bag and close the bag. Using a large serving spoon or other heavy utensil, hit the candy canes until they are coarsely crushed.
- When cookies have cooled, rewarm the reserved 2/3 cup of chocolate in the microwave at 10 second intervals on high power until the chocolate is smooth. Spoon the melted chocolate on top of each cookie. Top with candy cane pieces before chocolate hardens. Chill until chocolate sets, about 20 minutes.
|Serving size: 1 Cookie|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 14 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 20 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
All photographs copyright 2012 Keely Deuschle. All rights reserved. Do not copy photographs.