Double Crust Pizza Casserole
Secrets of the Cook
There are always those recipes that you come across that you like to make over and over again. I also feel like I say that about a lot of recipes that I fix. These may be really easy recipes or more challenging ones. A repeatedly cooked recipe could be comfort food or even a dessert. No matter what your favorite recipe type is, food is a great escape for some people. Some people tend to stress eat. Whether used as a hobby or stress reliever, I find that spending time in the kitchen helps me relax and I enjoy trying the new recipes that I find. I tend to try to find recipes that I already have the ingredients around the house. This way, I do not have to run out and buy a bunch of groceries and break the bank, just to try a new recipe.
Whenever there is going to be a gathering of people, (especially the people I know), there's bound to be food involved at some point during the visit. This is a major part of our lives whether getting together for a wedding or baby shower, a wedding, a birthday party, an anniversary or after church etc...there's going to be food.
Now what is the easiest thing ever made? I always think of pizza. This dish has the most options of anything out there. You can order the pizza but, it can be expensive. If time allows, you should try this dish because, it will save you money and it is easy to carry. With the casserole dishes now a days, it is easy to warm up the dish and keep it warm until it is ready to serve. The casserole dish that I own has a pack inside to help keep the food warm until ready to be served. Hopefully, this will keep you from having to warm up the casserole before it's eaten especially if you do not have a good place to warm the dish.
One thing is for sure though this is a great recipe, will be both good and filling but, travels well and is great for all kinds of different occasions. It's a one bowl dish, which makes it travel very easily.
I hope that you will share your favorite pizza toppings, secrets and recipes that you like. You can type your pizza recipe ideas that you may have in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this hub.
Double Crust Pizza Casserole
Have You Tried It?
Have you ever had a pizza casserole before?
In this particular recipe, there are a couple of secret ingredients that you might not imagine being in a pizza casserole.
The first one is: instant mashed potatoes.
The second one is: cornmeal.
What purpose do the potatoes serve?
In this recipe, the instant potatoes are used as part of the crust of this two crust casserole and the potatoes help make the dough a little bit more firm and give the dough it's shape. I don't know if you have tried to work with dough that's too flimsy but, it's really difficult. The potatoes give the dough that "just right" consistency to make it easy to work with.
What purpose does the cornmeal serve?
The second secret ingredient in this recipe is the cornmeal. The cornmeal gives this recipe it's crunchy crust. The cornmeal is put on the top of the crust and then baked. You would never guess it's cornmeal!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 lb. ground beef, lean
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can Italian tomato paste
- 1/2 of a 1.3-1.5 oz. package sloppy joe seasoning mix (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 can (2 1/4 oz) ripe olives, drained, optional
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
How to make
- For the crust, combine the flour, potatoes, milk and butter or margarine and set it aside until the mixture stiffens slightly as it stands.
- For the filling: In a 12" skillet or a dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion until the meat is no longer pink. Then drain off the grease. Stir in the tomato sauce, the tomato paste, seasoning mix and if desired the olives.
- Take a small saucer and put a tablespoon of flour on it. Then, dip your fingers into the flour. (This will keep the dough from sticking to your hands). Using your floured fingers, press half of the dough into the bottom and about 1 1/2" up the sides of a 13x9x2" baking pan or a 3 quart rectangular baking dish. Spread the filling over the crust; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Between two large sheets of waxed paper, roll remaining crust out to a 15 x 11" rectangle. Remove the top sheet and invert over the filling. Remove the paper. Trim the edges as necessary.
- Turn the edges of the top crust under and seal it to the bottom crust. Sprinkle with the cornmeal. Bake in a 425 degree oven about 35 minutes or until heated through and the crust is golden brown. Let this dish stand for 5 minutes or so before serving.
Pizza Sauce is a Key Ingredient
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 41 g||14%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 20 g||80%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|Cholesterol 69 mg||23%|
|Sodium 715 mg||30%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
So many possibilities
There are so many different possibilities with this recipe that I am sure that I will forget some of them.
This dish will obviously travel well so, it would be great for church, family or work functions where food will be involved.
This would be a great birthday meal. It seemed like we always had an Italian theme for our birthday dinners. This could be served with a salad either house salad or Caesar salad and some large, crusty Italian bread and you can have a great meal in only a few minutes.
It would be great to have some marinara sauce to dip the casserole in as well as the bread.
This is a great dish that always gets a lot of compliments. Do be surprised if you get asked for a copy of this recipe.
If you wanted to, you can put anything in this recipe that you would normally put in a pizza. You can put things like sauteed onions, sausage, black and/or green olives.
Using different meats is a great way as well to get a that different flavor you are looking for.
Presto Pizza Oven
Italian Recipes and Food Articles
- Easy Meat & Cheese Lasagne
This is a recipe on my Easy Meat and Cheese Lasagna. Ingredients, cook times, nutrition and other cooking tips are featured in this hub along with pictures, videos, polls, maps and commentary.
- Toasted Ravioli Recipe
This is a great tasting recipe that is easy to make. This hub contains commentary, pictures, videos and other information about this great Italian dish. A recipe capsule and ingredients are included.
- Warm Olive Italian Bruschetta
This is a great starter recipe. This will quickly become one of the favorites that you will reach for time and time again. Pictures, ingredients and helpful hints will fill this hub.
- Easy Feta Chicken Bake
This Feta Chicken is really a light meal that you could serve to your girlfriends in the summertime. This chicken will be so tender, you can cut it with a fork. The feta cheese adds a nice sharpness to the chicken. I do hope that you will try this gr
- Dominos Pizza Menu Review
Domino's serves Pizza, wings, cheesy bread, sandwiches, desserts and pasta. Their menu is reviewed along with pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary. They offer delivery and carry out.
Pizza Casserole Recipe
Deep Dish Pizza Casserole
© 2013 Buster Johnson