- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Double Melon Soup
Winter & Bitter Melon Soup with Shrimps
I love soups and one of my favorites is "Double Melon Soup with Shrimps." This soup is so refreshing and is perfect for a hot summer day. The secret ingredients are winter melon and bitter melon. I have had winter melon soup (chunks of winter melon with skin attached boiled with pork bones for at least two hours). Additionally, I have had bitter melon soup (also boiled with pork bones, carrots, and red beans). However, putting the two together - that's something I've never given any thought to until I stumbled on a recipe called "Double Melon Soup." You don't necessarily have to add shrimps to it; you can add any meat or seafood as you like. The resulting soup is like a clear broth and has a very refreshing taste. When winter melon meets bitter melon, you get a completely different flavor (like in a marriage - two distinctive flavors blended in to form a new flavor).
- winter melon (about half a pound; skin peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick)
- bitter melon (shredded) - just peel off the outermost (green) part with a peeler
- salt to taste
Making the Soup
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add winter melon and bitter melon. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimps to the soup. Cook until shrimps turn pink.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
- Serve over white rice or rice noodles or just drink as is.