Dried Green Peas Curry Recipe
About dried green peas curry
Dried green peas is also called as ghugni. This is versatile pulse which is rich in protein and fiber.
Dried green peas curry is super delicious, gluten-free, basic, simple and yummy. Also a perfect lunch box recipe. This is the famous street side dish from Kolkata. Best recipe for those who loves dried green peas. Goes well with roti, chapati, phulka, naan and flavored rice.
- 1-2 cups dried green peas, washed and soaked in water for 5-6 hours or overnight
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 inch of ginger, to prepare paste
- 3-4 garlic, to prepare paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder, white or black
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar
- salt according to taste
- 1 bayleaf
- 1-2 dry red chilies, broken
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or jeera
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
How to prepare
- Soak the dried green peas in sufficient water for 5-6 hours or leave it overnight.
- Discard the water and place it in the cooker with couple of inches of water. Take 3-4 whistles. ( You can even boil it in the saucepan for about 30 minutes or till peas are tender).
- Let the steam escape all by itself. Open the cooker and set aside.
- Chop and keep your vegetables ready. Peel off the skin of the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, dry red chilies and cumin seeds, wait for cumin seeds to crackle.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt, fry till brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute for few seconds till raw smell disappears.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt, cook till all spices blends well.
- Add cooked green peas and cubed potatoes, mix properly.
- Add 1 cup of water (or as per consistency of the curry), cook for 5-10 minutes in medium flame.
- Add sugar, black pepper powder and garam masala powder, mix well.
- Finally garnish with finely chopped onions and green chilies.
- Drizzle few drops of lemon juice before serving.
- Serve hot with chapati, roti, naan or rice.
More about the recipe
- You can use sprouted peas for this recipe.
- You can fry the potatoes and use in the recipe which enhances the flavor of the curry.
- You can also use red chili powder instead of green chilies.
- You can reduce the amount of spices and skip green chili or can use less spicy green chili if you are making for kids.
- Ghee can be used instead of oil.
- You can prepare ginger-garlic paste or can use store brought.
- You can adjust the water according to the consistency of the curry.