- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make Murungai kaai sambar sadham or Drumstick Sambar Rice South Indian Tamilnadu or Madras Style Recipe
Drumstick Sambar Rice South Indian Madras Style Recipe
- 3 cup Boiled rice
- 1 cup Toor dal, (soak the dhal for 1 hour in hot water)
- 2-3 Drumstick, (cut into small pieces)
- 2 Red chilles, (cut in to pieces)
- 2 Tomatoes, (cut in to pieces)
- 1/4 tea spoon Turmeric powder
- 4 tea spoon Sambar powder
- Salt, (as required)
- 1 tea spoon Tamarind paste
- 2 tea spoon Ghee, (for frying)
- 1/2 tea spoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tea spoon Bengal gram
- 5 to 8 Curry leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida powder
- 1 Big onion, (or 4-5 small onions meant for Sambar, (chop into small pieces)
- Corriander leaves, (chop into pieces)
- Pressure cook the Toor dal with 2 cups of water and place it in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil/ghee in the pressure cooker for tempering and add the mustard and wait till mustard crackles. Now add the Bengal gram and fry till Bengal gram becomes golden brown.
- In the same cooker add the chopped onions, curry leaves and fry till onion becomes golden brown. When it is done, add the chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the drum stick in cooker and saute for few minutes.
- Pour the boiled Toor dal and 1 cup of water in the cooker.
- Increase the flame of the cooker and add the Tamarind paste, Turmeric, Sambar powder, Salt, Asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Close the lid and allow the cooker to give 4 whistles.
- When the pressure is gone, remove the lid and mix the boiled rice with the Sambar. Then transfer the Drumstick Sambar rice to a separate bowl and garnish using chopped coriander leaves.
- It can be served along with any vegetable porial or papad. I have placed cabbage porial as side dish.
© 2013 Ravi and Swastha