- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Health benefits and how to use duck eggs in your recipes.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: serves 4 - 6
Duck eggs are tasty and heathy!
My first experience with fresh off the farm eggs was a few years back when I had a friend who always brought me her freshly laid chicken eggs. I raved about them, and used them in everything. They were so completely different from store bought eggs. Bright orange middle, flavorful, just beautiful. So after my chicken egg farmer friend started raising ducks, she brought me some to try one day. As much as I loved the chicken eggs, and the idea of organic eggs, I hesitated at the duck eggs. ..for a moment. Then I decided to go for it, after all, my friend was raving about how much better they were than the chicken eggs!
Big, beautiful duck eggs
Duck eggs are quite large, but other than that, they look basically the same on the outside as a chicken egg. The shell is tougher, so it helps if you boil them with quite a bit of salt.
Because the duck egg has more protein than the chicken egg, it will tend to cook more quickly, but because of its size, the duck egg may need more cooking time. So experiment with cooking your hard boiled duck eggs. Generally when you scramble or fry these eggs (only in bacon grease or butter) they will need a bit more time to cook through because of their freshness. The fresher an egg, the more it stays "glued" together, doesn't thin out like an older egg from the store does.
Duck eggs taste similar to chicken eggs, only x's 10!!. Like the freshest, richest and fullest egg taste you've ever had. The yolks are buttery, because they have more fat (and cholesterol) than chicken yolks, and the whites are firm and taste great and have more protein than the chicken egg white.
Now the inside of the duck egg is really beautiful. I've heard that there are duck eggs with reddish yolks and bluish whites, but the ones I had were very white with deep golden yolks. Truly beautiful. I'm a painter, and I actually painted a picture of my eggs one day I was so inspired. And cooking with them in recipes is divine. Below are some recipes to try.
Time for a new duck egg experience!
If you have never experienced the incredible, edible, duck egg, you owe it to yourself to try one. Substitute them for anything you would normally use chicken eggs for, just count them as 2 chicken eggs in recipes. I've included a couple of links to duck hatcheries http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html . Who knows, you may even end up with your own duck !
Spring pea shoots, poached duck eggs and baby vegetables
The rich, buttery duck egg is perfectly complemented by the light, baby vegetables in this healthy, fresh recipe:
Ingredients for Poached Duck Eggs and Baby Vegetables
- 10 red baby potatoes, peeled and diced
- big hand full baby carrots
- 1 baby squash, any kind
- 6 oz snow peas
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup 1 cup pea shoots
- 8 poached duck eggs, poach with 1 tbsp vinegar and a dash of salt in the water
- Preheat oven to 350 Toss diced squash, potatoes, snow peas, baby carrots,and onions with the tarragon, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, flour, and vinegar. Lay in an even layer on a baking sheet with a rim. , prepare the pea shoot pesto: Roast for 1 hour Blend pea shoots, lemon juice and remaining cup of olive oil in blender or food processor. Poach eggs To serve, place the vegetable hash on individual plates. Top with 1 or 2 poached eggs. Garnish with the pea shoot pesto.
- Toss diced, preferably fresh, squash, potatoes, snow peas, baby carrots,and onions with the tarragon, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, flour, and vinegar.
- Lay in an even layer on a baking sheet with a rim.
- Roast for 1 hour
- Prepare the pea shoot pesto:Blend pea shoots, lemon juice and remaining cup of olive oil in blender or food processor.
- Poach eggs
- To serve, place the vegetable hash on individual plates. Top with 1 or 2 poached eggs. Garnish with the pea shoot pesto.