- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Duinkerken Gluten Free Cake Mixes - Product Review
Do You Use a Mix?
When I Bake I Prefer to
Rate the Review and Recipe for Duinkerken Cake Mix
Duinkerken Gluten Free Cake Mixes
I was given the Duinkerken product by a friend who works for a food distributor here in Victoria BC. I confess to being rather snobby about baking and usually prefer to bake from scratch making up my own flour combinations for wheat and gluten free baking.
One day, in a pinch for time, I decided to give one of the boxes a try. Success! Since then I have tried three of the flavours available in the product range - Vanilla, Lemon and Chocolate. Each time the product has worked really well in either a 9 x 9" cake format or as cup cakes.
Wheat and gluten free baking can be time consuming and a little costly to do given making up the different flour combinations required for successful texture and rising. Using the Duinkerken Mix saves times and cuts down on the need to keep different flours at the ready. The boxed mixes are also quick to make up. Simply place the mix along with eggs, milk and oil in a mixer for two minutes and voila, the cake, or cup cakes are ready to bake.
- 1 box Duinkerken Gluten Free Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Oil - olive, sunflower or canola
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Butter, For icing
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese, For icing
- 1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar, For icing
- 1 tsp Vanilla, For icing
Cream Cheese Icing
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Prepare 1 x 9 x 9 cake pan by greasing well with butter or place individual cup cake papers in muffin or mini cup cake pans.
- Place 2 eggs, oil and milk in mixer and combine on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pan or cup cake papers. Bake cake for 25 to 30 minutes or cup cakes for 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare Icing - combine in mixer butter and cream cheese, beat until combined. Add vanilla and mix. Add icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix, scraping from sides during the process. When cakes are cool use a knife to spread as a topping.
Based in Prince Edward Island Duinkerken Foods are committed to creating a range of gluten free foods that are appropriate for celiacs and that provide a variety of options for those choosing a gluten free diet for other health reasons.
The Duinkerken range of gluten free mixes are available online at at local health food stores and supermarkets that carry gluten free product.
For more information and where to buy the products locally visit http://www.duinkerkenfoods.com/
|Serving size: 1 cup cake or 1 x12th slice of cake|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 02 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 01 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 34 g||11%|
|Sugar 18 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 270 mg||11%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|