- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
What is Dum cooking?
- Dum cooking is meat or vegetables cooked in a tightly sealed wok or a large pan over slow heat.
- In this style of cooking the spices play a crucial role. The process of slow cooking gently persuades each of the spices to release their respective flavors. Cooking slowly in its juices, the food retains all its natural aromas and is additionaly enriched with the richness of the spices.
Best combinations that go with Dum chicken.
- It can be eaten with any kind of flavored rice like ghee rice or jeera rice.
- It also tastes good with plain white rice.
- It can also be eaten with chapathi, any kind of naan or roti.
- It can eaten with any kind of chicken biryani or chicken pulav as a side dish.
- It can also be used as a topping for any kind of rice bowl or burritos.
- It can also be used to make sandwiches.
- 1.84 lbs whole chicken breast
- one and a half spoon ginger garlic paste
- one bunch mint leaves
- one bunch coriander leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 9 cloves
- 5 to 6 green cardamom
- one and a half spoon red chili powder
- one and a quarter spoon coriander powder
- three-fourth spoon cumin powder
- 2 tea spoons shah jeera
- half spoon turmeric powder
- 25 cashew nuts
- two and a half spoons yogurt
- half spoon salt
- 4 spoons canola oil
- 10 to 15 black pepper corn
- 4 to 5 green chilies
Instructions on how to make cashew nut paste.
- Boil around 25 cashew nuts in water for about 10 to 15 minutes under medium heat until the cashews turn soft.
- Set the cashews aside separately and allow them cool down.
- Put the cashew nuts in a blender and make a fine paste.
Instructions on how to marinate chicken pieces.
- Add ginger garlic paste,red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, whole garam masala (cloves, cinnamon stick and green cardamom), shah jeera, black pepper corn, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, fried onions, cashew nut paste, yogurt, salt and oil in quick succession. Mix thoroughly.
- Add about 2 cups of water. Mix thoroughly.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 2 hours. This is for the chicken to absorb the rich flavors of the spices.
- The curry should be cooked for the first 15 minutes under low heat and for the next 30 minutes under medium heat.
- Cover the wok when cooking.
- Do not mix the contents in the pan in intervals of 3 to 4 minutes.
Instructions on how to cook Dum chicken.
- Evenly spread the chicken onto a cooking pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook under low heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, cook the chicken under medium heat for 30 minutes.
Black Pepper Corn
© 2015 serenity