- Food and Cooking
Easter Dessert Recipes
In the United States, as well as much of the world, Easter is celebrated with a large family meal complete with special Easter dessert recipes. Often, the same foods are served year after year, and generation after generation. This is how traditions get started.
Whether you are ready to start your own traditions or just tired of red jello with bananas and cool whip the following recipes are both traditional and delicious. The easiest way to transition your family from what they have always eaten to something new is to serve both for the first year.
Banana Pudding is another one of those Southern, must-have Easter dessert recipes. Make it the traditional way with ‘Nilla Wafers or substitute Nutter Butters, or other peanut butter cookie, for a nice change.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup GMO free cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cups half and half cream
- 1 c whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 5-6 bananas, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
In a microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, egg, evaporated milk, half and half, and regular milk.
Mix together well. Microwave on high, stirring every minute until thick.
Remove from heat, add vanilla and banana if desired, and mix well.
In a large casserole dish arrange a layer of cookies. Cover with bananas. Pour pudding mixture over both.
Refrigerate until chilled.
Top with whipped cream
Before you begin this cake it is a good idea to review the process in How to Make a Layer Cake.
Coconut cake is a Southern favorite on the spring table. It has been one of the most popular Easter dessert recipes for generations. You can achieve fresh and delicious coconut flavor in a homemade cake that will far outshine anything from a mix or a bakery. Filling ideas include:
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Coconut Buttercream
- Pecan and Coconut
There are many more of course.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 organic large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut milk (Coco Lopez)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease and flour two, 8 inch cake pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla and coconut flavoring.
- Combine the buttermilk and the coconut milk.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in coconut gently and pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for ten minutes, then loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Fill as desired and frost with your favorite buttercream.
No Bake Chocolate Éclair Cake
If you are pressed for time but need something everyone will rave over then give this no bake cake a try. It does use mostly convenience foods but the results are spectacular.
Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 2 individual packages graham crackers
- 2 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 12 ozs chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole with graham crackers.
- Mix milk and half and half
- Combine the pudding mix and the milk mixture, stirring well.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Spread half of the pudding over the graham crackers. Top with more graham crackers.
- Spread the remaining pudding mix over the graham crackers and top with a layer of graham cracker crumbs.
- Meanwhile bring the heavy cream to a boil. Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Drizzle over the éclair cake.
- Use chocolate pudding and Oreos
- Use pistachio pudding
- Use white chocolate pudding and Lorna Doones
- Use butterscotch pudding
The possibilities are endless.