- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Juicy East Carolina Style Barbecue (BBQ) Sauce Recipe for Pork and More
This BBQ sauce has a strong vinegar flavor with a subtle spicy kick and a sweet aftertaste. Smother it over pulled pork for a juicy BBQ sandwich.
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
5 Tablespoons light brown sugar
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes. Add more for a spicier sauce.
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl, until the sugar dissolves.
2. Let sit for about 20 minutes, preferably longer. The longer the sauce sits, the spicier it gets.
3. Keep the sauce in a glass or plastic bottle and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for months.
Why is this Eastern Carolina style?
People often call this sauce "Carolina Style", but real BBQ aficionados will let you know that this is Eastern Carolina style. It is tangy and spicy, with more of an emphasis on the vinegar.
Western Carolina sauce has more of an emphasis on the tomato base, be it ketchup or tomato sauce, and it is sweet.
Use it to make good cole slaw
You don't have to bust out the Miracle Whip every time you make cole slaw. Just grate about 6 cups of cabbage and mix it with 1 1/2 cups of this barbecue sauce. Cover and leave it in the fridge overnight for all of the flavors to blend.
Recipes that go with this sauce:
- East Carolina Barbecue Pulled-Pork Sandwich Recipe
Juicy Carolina Pulled Pork
- A Recipe for Authentic KFC Cole Slaw
A recipe for authentic KFC cole slaw. Sweet and creamy, perfect with barbecue.