Easy Baked Chicken--Spicy Mango Pepper Glazed
I had chicken in the refrigerator that desperately needed to be used, but I was tired of all my usual chicken recipes. I also had a jar of mango pepper jelly in the pantry that was calling my name after a full day of working with mango. The result was this delicious spicy mango pepper glazed baked chicken. I pared it with a green been casserole, apple stuffing, and a fresh raspberry and bacon salad, and the whole meal was on the table in less than an hour.
Unfortunately there are no step by step pictures for this recipe, because I truly was not planning to post it to the blog; I was just making dinner for my husband! But the result was so wonderful I just had to share. Country Boy says it is one of the best dinners I have ever made and snapped a picture before digging in. Good thing because there were no leftovers!
What I love about this dish is how much flavor is in the chicken. Too often chicken dishes can be so bland! Rubbing the chicken breasts with a spice mixture before baking adds a lot of flavor, and the sweet and spicy mango glaze is wonderful. The mango glaze would probably also be great over a pork tenderloin, and rubbing the chicken breasts with a spice mixture of your choosing is a great way to jazz up boring chicken recipes!
Also, I tend to really struggle with my meat temperatures. I grew up eating my meat cooked to death, and Country Boy likes his meat still mooing (or in the case clucking!) on the plate, so I always try to find a happy medium and often end up under-cooking things. This is very dangerous with chicken! However, I found that 30 minutes at 425* Fahrenheit was the perfect amount of time. Thick chicken breasts may take slightly longer.
Preheat Oven to 425* Fahrenheit
- 3-4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Wash and remove any excess fat
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Orange or lemon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons Spicy Asian Stir Fry Seasoning, (Found at Home Goods or Marshalls, or use your favorite mixture of Asian spices)
- 1/2 cup Mango Pepper Jelly
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Dash Red pepper flakes
- FOR THE RUB: In a small bowl, mix together the Orange Pepper, Garlic Sea Salt, and Asian seasonings. Rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts. Place chicken in a casserole dish.
- Bake chicken for 20 minutes at 425* Fahrenheit. While the chicken bakes, prepare the glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE: In a small saucepan, combine mango pepper jelly, Dijon mustard, honey, butter, and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until glaze begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is ready.
- After chicken has baked for 20 minutes, pour the mango glaze over the chicken. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160*. (This may take closer to 15 minutes with thick chicken breasts.) Baste the chicken halfway through.
- Enjoy! It went wonderfully with green beans and stuffing, but would also go great with wild rice pilaf or sweet potatoes.