- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Baked Banana Frittata or Sweet Banana Omelette
When speaking of a frittata, most people would think of an Italian-style open-face omelette, prepared with plentiful cheese, meat and vegetables. That is indeed the generic characteristics of a frittata most of us are familiar with. Unlike a regular omelette, it doesn't have a filling folded in the egg mixture, but all the ingredients are combined together in one batter, then either pan-fried or baked. Its texture is similar to that of a quiche but not quite the same. Some might even say it's a more eggy version of a pancake. All in all, it has been a popular savory dish, cherished for its deliciousness as well as simplicity.
The frittata recipe I'm sharing with you today, however, will not require any meat, cheese or veggies, but bananas, honey and cinnamon. Yep, I'm talking about a dessert frittata or a sweet omelette! Popular banana desserts, such as banana muffins or banana cookies, are great, but sometimes they can be a little uninspiring. If you have been looking for an easy yet creative banana dessert to try, this banana frittata is a fabulous option.
Please Rate this Banana Recipe
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: about 4 servings
Ingredients for this Sweet Banana Omelette
- 2 large ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsps honey
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk, either whole or low-fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, (optional)
- ground cinnamon, (optional)
- cooking spray
How to Make Baked Banana Frittata
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put all-purpose flour and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat together eggs, milk, honey and vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the flour mixture.
- Whisk together well until the mixture is completely smooth with no lumps.
- Generously grease the inside of a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange banana slices in the baking pan. Try not to let them overlap one another too much.
- Pour the frittata batter onto the banana slices.
- Bake your banana frittata in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the frittata is firm and the edges turn golden brown.
- Remove your banana frittata from the oven. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon (optional).
Cookbook for Egg Lovers
- Mix 1 - 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds or walnuts into your frittata batter if you'd like. They will create texture and increase nutrition in your sweet banana omelette.
- If you're a chocolate fiend, add some chocolate chips to the frittata batter, and lightly dust your banana frittata with cocoa powder instead of cinnamon at the end.
- For coconut lovers, substitute coconut milk for regular milk or make it even more coconutty by adding some coconut flakes to the frittata batter. Banana and coconut go together wonderfully.
- If you don't want to bake this banana dessert, you may fry it in a large skillet on a stovetop instead.
Calorie and Nutrition Info
|Serving size: 1 slice (about 1/4 frittata)|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 18 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 106 mg||35%|
|Sodium 64 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2013 Om Paramapoonya