Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake
My fiance loves loves loves blueberries. Always having fresh blueberries in the house is extremely expensive when they are not in season. However, until I can grow our own blueberry bushes I have found a simple and easy blueberry coffee cake that uses imitation blueberries.
When blueberries are not in season and you have the desire to have something with a blueberry flavor, try this fast and easy blueberry coffee cake recipe.
This recipe is taken from the Krusteaz brand blueberry pancake/waffle mix box and given an added twist. This simple and easy blueberry coffee cake only takes 35 minutes to complete and will be loved for breakfast or as a mid-day snack with tea or coffee.
You can have a deliciously moist and fluffy blueberry coffee cake even if blueberries are not in season in less than an hour. They don't taste like the real thing, but they are still tasty and make for a great, simple, and easy blueberry coffee cake.
For those blueberry lovers in your family this is a great supplement until blueberries come back into season. This blueberry coffee cake is the perfect morning breakfast that the whole family will love.
Ingredients for the Coffee Cake:
- 2/1/2 cups Krusteaz Blueberry Pancake Mix, (Other blueberry pancake/waffle mixes work as well)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
Ingredients for the Crumble Topping:
1/4 cup Krusteaz Blueberry Pancake Mix
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
3 Tbs. Butter
*Note: If you prefer a larger amount of crumble on your coffee cake you may want to double your topping mixture. This set of ingredients only creates a light layer of crumble that just covers the top of the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For Topping: In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup pancake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter, until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- For Cake: In a large bowl stir together 2/1/2 cups pancake mix, water, sugar, vanilla, and egg (Mix only until moistened. Over mixing your batter will result in a heavy, dense, and grainy coffee cake).
- Spoon batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over cake batter and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe is simple, easy, and the perfect cake for making with the kids. However, because you are working with pancake mix it is important to remember not to over mix the batter or it will become dense.
Perfect for weekday morning breakfasts, Sunday brunches, or a mid-day tea, this coffee cake is delicious and moist. This blueberry coffee cake pairs well with syrup if you wish, or it can be used for dunking in coffee, or simply eating just the way it is.
When blueberries are in season you can add a cup of real blueberries to the mix and create a rich, delicious, and moist blueberry coffee cake. Or you can learn how to freeze and store blueberries here so you can create the perfect cake with real blueberries anytime.