- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Cheesy Hashbrown and Sausage Casserole
This casserole is very easy to put together and is absolutely delicious! You can use smoked sausage, ring bologna, Kalberwurst or even bacon. Use the type of meat that your family likes best. Just make sure the meat is pre-cooked or cook it ahead of time yourself. My husband is a huge ring bologna fan, as are my kids, so I have been looking at all sorts of different recipes on the internet. This is a combination that I put together myself after studying many different recipes and using what I had in my pantry. My family went nuts for this casserole and I think it will become a new member of our regular dinner rotation.
This casserole can be made healthier by using low fat/low sodium versions of the ingredients, such as the cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and even low sodium sausage. I used low fat sour cream and low sodium cream of mushroom soup when I made this to try to keep it healthier. It still came out very tasty! This casserole heats up well for leftovers the next day, too. It is a very simple casserole, with simple ingredients and out of this world taste. I hope if you get a chance to make it, you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 precooked sausage ring or ring bologna, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups hash browns
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter, or non-stick spray
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat fry up the diced onions and garlic until softened in 2 Tbsp butter. This takes around 5 minutes or so. If you don't have a cast iron pan, that is fine, use whatever you have, just make sure it is large enough to add the hash browns into later.
- Cut up sausage or ring bologna into pieces about a half inch large or bite sized. Put the pieces into a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella into bowl with the sausage.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, pepper and salt to the bowl. Fold it all together until it is well blended.
- Once the onions have become translucent in the fry pan, add the hash browns to the skillet and heat through with the garlic and onions. Add the hash brown mixture into the bowl with the sausage or bologna and gently blend it all together.
- Spray non-stick spray into a 13 x 9" casserole dish. Spread hash brown, sausage, and cheese mixture into the dish. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the top of the casserole. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for a few hours before baking. This allows the flavors mesh better in the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Take casserole out, remove aluminum foil and cook uncovered for 30 minutes more. The casserole is done when the edges get bubbly and the cheese is golden in color. Remove from oven, let stand and cool for 10 minutes, then enjoy!