- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy, Cheesy Noms- The Best Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Which of these is your favorite mac and cheese add-in?
Not your blue box favorite- much better!
For a lot of us, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, in it's iconic blue box, was a childhood staple. One that we proudly pass on from generation to generation. All of that smooth, neon orange sauce coating hot, soft noodles was, and is, comforting as mother's milk.
It's a quick, easy go-to for busy parents. One that kids of all ages appreciate as much as chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and ramen noodles. It was one of the first things that many of us learned to cook, and one of the few things we could cook on our dorm room hot plates, where we consumed more than a lifetime's supply of the easy meal and experimented with dozens of variations. Some variations we called 'gourmet', but others we called 'poverty'.
Then, at some point, we tasted real gourmet macaroni and cheese- the kind from the oven with browned and bubbly cheese, perfectly cooked noodles, and more flavor than we could have ever imagined. And we wanted that! We wanted it every day. But the work and time involved just doesn't make it possible.
That's where this recipe was born. This takes the comfort food classic to a new level- a level with much more flavor than sauces that glow under blacklight, but with much less time, effort and cleanup than even the simplest oven recipes.
Equal calories, double protein, 33% less carbs, 33% less sodium, triple calcium, and much more flavor than the blue box!
|Calories from Fat||189|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 21 g||32%|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 120 mg||40%|
|Sodium 377 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1/2 lb. pasta, macaroni, cavatappi, or shells
- 3 Tbsp margarine, such as Country Crock Calcium plus D
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk, skim
- 8 oz (2 cups) monterey jack cheese, shredded
- dash of salt
- 3/4 tsp Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil & Garlic seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
Please cast your vote!
Try it with Broccoli!
- Boil pasta just short of al dente and drain. It will continue cooking with sauce.
- Toss drained pasta with margarine to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cream cheese, milk and seasonings until smooth. (I found that while this recipe doesn't 'need' the additional dash of salt, it does benefit from it and still stays lower sodium. You don't need to be heavy handed with it. Just a dash is enough.)
- Return pasta to medium-low heat. Pour egg mixture over noodles and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and continue stirring an additional 4-5 minutes.
Tips: Stirring for 10 minutes straight is more of a workout than you'd expect. Take turns stirring for a couple minutes at a time, if you can.
Experiment with different cheeses and seasonings. Have fun!
If you haven't already, don't forget to check out the last recipe I posted in this Comfort Food Classics series!
- Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup
This super simple, semi-homemade Creamy Tomato-Basil soup recipe takes the classic comfort food to a new level!
Thanks for reading!
If you like this recipe, please click here to share it.
I love hearing your feedback, or suggestions for what I should cover next, so PLEASE leave me a comment below.
If you have questions, comment below. I do read and respond! It's always an open discussion in my articles :)
Be sure to follow me on Hubpages for new articles!
You can follow me on Facebook at:
And on Twitter @yourcoachmatt
For more information about personal coaching, book your free consultation from the 'Book Now' tab at fb.com/yourcoachmatt