Easy Chicken Enchiladas with a Rotisserie Chicken
Chicken enchiladas are a delicious easy dish the whole family will enjoy. Why not take a short cut and use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store so it will taste like you have been working in the kitchen all day! This recipe can be assembled earlier in the day, and wait in the refrigerator until time to bake. You may have to add 10 minutes to the bake time if it goes in the oven direct from the fridge. It can also be made with 16 small tortillas to feed a crowd. Just a little more work rolling them!
These can be garnished with sour cream, salsa, cilantro and lime juice to make it more suitable for casual entertaining. It also goes well with a green salad. Enjoy!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- The meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, cut in small chunks or shredded with 2 forks
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 8 large flour tortillas
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a fry pan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a big bowl. Add chicken, salsa verde, sour cream and half of the cheese. Gently stir to combine. Divide roughly into 8.
- In another shallow dish, combine half and half cream and chicken stock.
- Heat empty fry pan again over medium heat. Add some oil to barely coat bottom. Add a tortilla to the oil to brown lightly, flipping once to get some color on both sides.
- Transfer the tortilla to the cream/stock mixture and soak for a few seconds.
- Fill one eighth of the filling down the middle of the tortilla. Tuck in the ends and roll.
- Place seam side down in a 9x13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with vegetable spray.
- Repeat with the remaining 7 tortillas.
- Pour the remaining cream/stock mixture over the finished casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in center of 350 F oven for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out hot from center.
- Serve with garnish of extra sour cream, cilantro, lime juice or salsa if you like!