- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Easy Chicken Korma - Non spicy most popular Indian Chicken recipe
Click thumbnail to view full-size
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
Ready in: 50 min
Yields: One whole chicken serves four to six people
- 1 Skinless chicken, sliced into curry pieces
- One heaped tablespoon Ginger, paste, or two finger sized roots blended in food processor
- One heaped tablespoon Garlic, paste or 7/ 8 cloves blended
- 2 pieces Cinnamon sticks, washed
- 4 Cardamom, washed
- 3 Bay leaves, washed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 large Onion, Thinly sliced
- One cup Milk/ yogurt/, use dairy substitute if lactose intolerant
- 3/4 cup Butter Oil/ ghee
- (optional) 1 teaspoon chilli powder, if you want more golden color and spicy
- 2/3 green chilly, for fragrance, to be added near the end
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Add Salt, Ginger, Garlic paste to Chicken and mix well, using hands to ensure the paste reaches all parts of the chicken. Set Aside.
If you want to make it more golden and hotter, add the chilly powder as well.
- In a deep pan , heat up half a Butter bar till it melts , or 3/4 cup of butter oil or Ghee (available in Southasian stores). Add Onion slices at a point when it will crackle. Braise to a glaze and add cardamom , Bay leaves and cinnamon. Stir for about 3 minutes
- Add to this the chicken prepared in step 1. Be careful about hot oil sprinkling up. Stir well now to ensure the oil reaches all of the chicken. Later on you will not be able to stir the chicken vigorously or else the meat will separate from the bones and it wont be pretty. Add sugar
- Put a Lid on and let the chicken cook in its own juices. Stir once every 5 minutes so that a side of the meat doesn't get burned and the gravy doesn't burn at the bottom of the pan. Continue for 20 minutes
- Add Milk/ yogurt and stir well. Add the Green chillies and stir well.
Close the lid. stir from time to time until the pinkness of the meat starts to go away, and the oil overcomes the milky texture and gains a beige creamy body. Check if salt is satusfactory to your taste. If not, you can add a pinch or two now and stir
- Before taking down you can add onion slices deeply fried (browned)/ braised in 2 table spoon on butter oil for fragrance and visual appeal. This is an optional step
- Serve with Rice, Polao, CousCous or Paratha/ Roti/ Chapati
However you like!
Chicken Korma ready to serve!