Easy Chicken Meals with the Crockpot: Fettucine Alfredo
Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken
Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken is an easy dish that contains vegetables, fruit (yes peppers are a fruit), protein, and carbohydrates, making it a very balanced diet by combining these four major food groups and is delivered in a tasty yet easy-to-make meal. It can be prepared the morning or the night before. Just place the crock-pot on low before you go to work, then when you arrive at home, all you need to prepare is the fettuccine or pasta of your choice. I love using bowtie and penne, as well.
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
|Serving size: 1/2 cup of sauce and noodles|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 33 g||66%|
|Cholesterol 106 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Ingredients for Chicken Alfredo
- 1 can Alfredo Sauce
- 4 Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 1 Bell Pepper, slices
- 1/4 of an Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
How To Make Chicken Alfredo on FettuciniClick thumbnail to view full-size
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- First, cut up the chicken into small bite-sized pieces. Use four large chicken breasts or I buy small chicken tenders and use five to six.
- Chop a bell pepper into slices or diced if you prefer and dice the onion. You can also add broccoli for added nutrients.
- Combine alfredo sauce, chicken, green pepper, onion, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese in the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Prepare Fettuccine or other pasta.
- Serve Chicken Alfredo over the Fettuccini.
Health Benefits of Chicken
Meat often has a bad rap due to its high cholesterol; boneless-skinless chicken breast is the one exception. Although it does have a high cholesterol level, one half of a chicken breast only makes up 24 percent of your daily value. For this reasons, it is often a favored meat. Despite its high cholesterol level, it only contains 3 grams of fat and 142 calories. This low calorie food is not the only reason that it is often part of a weight-loss program; it also helps your body in numerous areas, including:
- Contains no sugar or carbohydrates, yet consists of 27 grams of protein in just a half breast, which is 50% of your daily value. Due to the high amount of protein, chicken breast is an amazing fat-burning food and needed for those who are working-out and trying to build muscle.
- Has many essential vitamins E, B6 and B12 that are found in chicken breasts. Vitamin B is a great source of energy and works wonders on your overall heart health. If you are trying to burn fat, you will need the energy that is provided through chicken. This great food also provides 26 percent of our daily value of vitamin B6. B6 is important, because it keeps our blood vessels healthy and wards off heart disease and strokes.
- Also contains many minerals including: riboflavin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, and phosphorus
- Has 60 percent of your daily need of niacin, which reduces your risk of many types of cancers and promotes healthy circulation, blood production, and neurological function.
- Contains 20 percent of our recommended daily value of selenium. This mineral is believed to help reduce risk of cancer, as well as protects your immune system. It also is proven to promote healthy thyroid functioning and protect against heart disease.
- There are significant amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in chicken breasts. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for a healthy body, especially a healthy heart.
- There is also small amounts of calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc. Just enough to have an impact on your daily health.
Although meat is often avoided when trying to lose weight, with the exception of those who are following the Atkins diet, protein found in meat is essential. It is important that your body has enough protein when you are working out, which is why chicken is such a great choice.
© 2012 Angela Michelle Schultz