Authentic Mexican Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
Today I will be sharing a popular dish from Mexican cuisine - chicken quesadilla recipe. There are dozens of quesadilla variations depending on the part of the country, and this variant comes out very tasty.
I'll be explaining how to make your own homemade tortillas, however if you are short on time, you can buy ready tortillas in your local supermarket and make just a filling.
Quesadilla is a Mexican dish which consists of two tortillas with filling, which should contain cheese (actually the name "quesadilla" is derived from Spanish words "queso" which means "cheese"). While melting, cheese bonds both tortillas together. I will be making quesadilla with two tortillas, but it can also be made with one folded tortilla.
Though I am sharing a chicken quesadilla recipe, quesadilla can also be done with beef or ham as well.
Ingredients For The Tortillas
- 0.5 lbs (250g) of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- a pinch of sugar
- 3/4-1 glass of water
Ingredients For The Filling
- 3 chicken fillet
- 1 big tomato
- 1 big sweet bell pepper
- 1 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste or chili sauce
- Gouda cheese
- ground cumin
- black pepper
- To make tortillas: mix flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and vegetable oil.
- Gradually add water, knead soft, not sticky dough.
- Leave dough for 20 min.
- Divide the dough onto 10-12 pieces, roll each piece into a tortilla.
- Fry each tortilla on a heated pan without butter or oil, each side for 30-60 seconds.
- To make the filling: slice chicken fillet on thin slices, add all the spices (ground cumin, oregano, paprika, black pepper), salt, minced cilantro and garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil olive, stir everything and put it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Chop onion, bell pepper, tomato and eggplant, and fry them on a pan.
- In 20-30 min take out marinated chicken fillet from the fridge and fry it.
- Mix fried vegetables with the fried meat, add corn and 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste (or chili sauce). The filling is ready!
- To make chicken quesadilla: put thinly sliced cheese on the tortilla, then put filling, then thinly sliced cheese once again, and another tortilla on top. And put it into the microwave for 30-50 seconds.
- Cut chicken quesadilla on 4 parts and serve with sour cream.
There are many quesadilla variations, and you can even create your own, adding ingredients of your choice. Quesadillas can be made with goat cheese, spinach, tofu, zucchini, black beans, ham, pork or roast beef. "Authentic Mexican" quesadillas are the ones with avocado or guacamole, serrano chiles and parsley. You can even get creative and make dessert quesadillas with chocolate, fruits, caramel and whipped cream. Quesadilla is so versatile that anyone can invent his/her own!