- Food and Cooking
Easy Chicken Recipe: Chicken Divan with Broccoli and Carrots
The word ‘divan’ means couch or a seat. In France, it also refers to a meeting place. One day, my husband and I decided to try this French recipe – Chicken Divan. It was made popular in the 50’s by a defunct restaurant called Divan Parisienne located in New York City. The place no longer exists but the recipe lives on.
2pcs. Chicken breasts (1.5 lbs.)
1 cup Broccoli florets
1 cup small Carrots
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can Campbell’sCream of Broccoli
1/2 cup milk
½ stick butter
½ cup crushed oatmeal
¼ cup crushed nuts
¼ cup Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
1. Mix soy sauce and lemon juice in a big container with lid.
2. Dip the chicken breasts in the mixture and cover. Let it marinate in the refrigerator.
3. Wash the broccoli and carrots then bring to a boil until tender.
4. In a casserole dish, spread both broccoli and carrots. Set aside.
5. Fry the marinated chicken breasts about 7 minutes per side.
6. When chicken is cooked, cut it into cubes.
7. Spread the chicken on top of the broccoli and carrot dish.
8. Mix milk and Campbell’s Cream of Broccoli. Then, pour evenly on top of chicken dish
9. Melt the butter
10. Blend in oatmeal and nuts into melted butter. Then, spread over chicken dish.
11. Scatter cheddar cheese on top of the chicken dish.
12. Bake at 450F for 15 minutes.
This makes 4 hefty servings. Total preparation and cooking time, which includes looking at the recipe is an hour. Actually, it will be less than an hour. I just move slowly :) “Bon apetit !”