Easy Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice Made at Home
History of Chinese Fried Rice
Chinese fried rice is traditionally made with white rice, diced onion & carrots, green peas, egg and soy. Other ingredients have been added over time but those are the most basic components.
Over the years Chinese fried rice became very popular in the states as it was fast, delicious and filling. Some variations of fried rice include vegetable fried rice, chicken or pork fried rice and for the purpose of this article, shrimp fried rice. Nearly every Chinese take-out type restaurant offers fried rice on it's menu.
Chinese fried rice is said to have originated in Sui dynasty between 589- 618 AD. Southern China and India are the two top countries to produce rice.
Cooking White Rice
In order to have deliciously made fried rice, perfectly made rice is the very first step. While there are many ways to make rice, there are as many equal ways to overcook rice. Some make rice on the stove top for 20 minutes without removing lid and some such as myself use rice cookers also. For the purposes of this article, I want to first share how to make perfect white rice every time. https://hubpages.com/food/Perfectly-Made-White-Rice
- 2 ounces onions, small diced
- 6 ounces carrots, small diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces green peas, fresh or frozen
- 5 cups white rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 ounce green onion/scallion, sliced thin
- 4 Large eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon each sesame oil
- 16 ounces 21-25 count shrimp, raw, peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- In a mixing bowl or container, toss the shrimp with salt and cornstarch and let it rest room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Place wok or large saute pan over medium to high heat. The pan needs to be very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the shrimp to the pan and saute them for 1-2 minutes constantly moving the shrimp around until they begin to look opaque or pinkish in color. Place the shrimp aside into a continainer. Place the pan back over medium-high heat, add beaten eggs to the pan once its hot, and cook about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the eggs to a cutting board and cut into strips.
- Place pan back over medium/high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pan and add carrots, onions and green onions. Cook about 1-2 minutes. Add minced garlic, and cook another 30 seconds. Add in cooled white rice to pan and saute vegtables and rice together for about 2 minutes getting it hot. Add the soy sauce or coconut aminos stir and sauté for 1 minutes. Add sugar and sesame oil, and stir another 30 seconds. Taste. Add soy/coconut aminos as needed. Place cooked shrimp and eggs strips into the pan and combine. Saute until rice is fully hot for about another 2 minutes or so. Plate the dish and garnish with scallion. Note: Additional vegetables can be added such as corn, broccoli, or snap peas. Duck sauce can be used to substitute the sugar. Chicken or pork can be used to substitute the shrimp