5 Easy, Classic Meatloaf Recipes
When it comes to home-style comfort food, it’s hard to beat a great meatloaf. It's good leftover, especially as sandwiches. My mom actually didn’t make meatloaf often when I was growing up. When she did, I don’t think she used a recipe, and she likes sage a whole lot more than I do, so meatloaf was not much of a favorite for me then. I have since discovered the Lipton soup mix version, of which I can eat myself silly.
I’ve provided several easy, classic recipes below, all tested by either my mom or me. You will find:
- The Lipton Soup Mix Meatloaf
- The Manwich Meatloaf
- The Hidden Valley Ranch Meatloaf
- The Campbell’s Soup Meatloaf
- Naomi Judd’s Meatloaf
1) Lipton Soup Mix Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
This Lipton meatloaf with my tomato sauce topping is my absolute favorite. I can eat myself silly on this one. I essentially use the recipe from the soup package, but for my taste, using the recommended 2 lbs of meat with the soup package is too salty. I use 2 ½ lbs of hamburger, and all other ingredients at the same amounts. I’ve used a variety of options for breadcrumbs, but usually use Progresso. You could use panko, crackers, quick oats, or most any bread.
- 1 envelope Lipton ® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix (or other Lipton onion or mushroom soup variety, such as Beefy Onion, or Onion Mushroom)
- 2 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 3/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs (or ¾ cup quick oats, or 1 ½ cups homemade bread crumbs, or 5 slices of bread cubed)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place ground beef in bowl. Add soup mix.
3. Add ¾ cups dry bread crumbs.
4. Add eggs, water, and ketchup. Combine all ingredients.
5. I use an 11” X 13” baking dish. I make a few holes in the meat, so that it will cook more evenly.
6. Prepare tomato topping if desired (see below), and spread over meat mixture.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350°.
My Meatloaf Topping
My brother and I love this topping. When we try different meatloaf recipes, we still prefer this topping.
1 cup ketchup
1 small can tomato paste
1/3 cup molasses, or ½ cup brown sugar
1. Combine ingredients.
2. Spread on top of 9” X 11” or 11” X 13” meatloaf before baking. For traditional 4” X 9” loaf, make or use about half of the sauce.
2) Manwhich Version
Mom’s New Favorite, the Manwich Meatloaf
I tweaked the Manwich meatloaf recipe a little bit because it was not firm at all. Even with tweaking it is a little loose. I’d definitely make it in a 11” X 13” pan, and plate portions with a spatula.
2 lb lean ground beef, or 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb ground pork, & ½ lb ground lamb or veal
3/4 cup of Manwich sauce
1 egg beaten
½ c bread crumbs
3 slices bread, made into coarse bread crumbs in food processor
1 small fine chopped onion
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp sage
Mix all ingredients together and bake in 9 X 13 pan at 350° for 1 hr. Use remaining Manwich sauce for topping.
Ranch Dressing Mix Meatloaf
Ranch Dressing Mix Meatloaf
My mom had Ranch dressing mix meatloaf at one of her brother’s recently. I made it and liked it a lot. It has a great flavor and is very firm. After it’s cooled off, you could slice a piece and hold it with your hand.
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 eggs beaten
2 pkts (about 2 oz) Hidden Valley dressing mix
2/3 c dried bread crumbs
Top with tomato topping if desired. Bake at 350 degrees in a large loaf pan for 60-75 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Campbell's Mushroom Soup Meatloaf
Campbell's Soup Meatloaf
Mushroom Soup Meatloaf
Campbell Soup Meatloaf
This recipe features Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup. Part of the soup is used in the meatloaf, and the remainder is used to make a sauce. I had the reduced fat soup, and followed the instructions, and the sauce was a little thin in my opinion. I advise using the original full fat soup, and ¼ cup milk instead of water.
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 lbs ground beef
½ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1 egg slightly beaten
1/3 c finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
1. Mix ½ c soup, ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, and salt.
2. Shape into 4” X 8” loaf and place on shallow baking pan.
3. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
4. In a saucepan, blend remaining soup, water, and 2-3 tablespoons of meatloaf drippings. Heat stirring occasionally. Serve with meatloaf. Makes 6-8 servings.
1. Spread 4 cups mashed potatoes over meatloaf.
2. Make a Wellington. Bake loaf 1 hour at 375. Drain off fat. Cover meatloaf with one package refrigerated crescent rolls. Bake additional 15 min.
Naomi Judd’s Meatloaf
A few years ago my mom discovered Naomi Judd’s meatloaf recipe, and now swears by it. You can find it on various websites.
1 ½ sleeves coarsely crushed soda crackers (2 1/3 c)
2 lbs lean ground beef
½ lb breakfast sausage
1 large egg
2 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, minced
1 cup ketchup, divided
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Place crackers in a plastic bag, and crush.
3. Combine all ingredients, except ¼ cup ketchup.
4. Form loaf in 9- X 13- X 2-inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Remove foil. Add ketchup to top of meatloaf. Return to oven and bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.