Easy & Delicious Bream Recipe (Also Good for Other Types of Fish)
Baked Mediterranean Bream with Potato Wedges
Also by this Author
Clean Fish, Cut Fins and Tail
Stuff Cavity with Parsley & Garlic
Top with Onions, Tomato, Parsley & Wrap in Foil
That is the Italian name for "gilt-head bream", and it was one of many fresh fish options at my local fish market.
My husband and I recently moved from the crowded city center of Florence to the perimeter, near Gavinana. The neighborhood is as authentic as it gets as far as living in Tuscay is concerned. We are truly spoiled by the local businesses who take tremendous pride in what they sell.
Yesterday, we enjoyed "Cinta Senese" pork chops from the butcher. Today, we opted for seafood. The easiest way to cook a fish is whole, in the oven. The following recipe is not only tasty, but makes an elegant presentation at the table. I have provided photos along with step by step instructions.
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
2. Once the fish is gutted and cleaned, cut off the fins and tail. Open the cavity and sprinkle with a bit of salt, pepper, crushed garlic gloves, and parsley.
3. Meanwhile, parboil diced or wedged potatoes in salted water for 5-10 minutes. Drain, set aside.
4. Place the fish on a piece of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and then top with thinly sliced onion and tomato. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and pinch the edges to seal the foil. Doing so will allow the fish to steam in its own juices, rendering the flesh tender.
5. Set the foil-wrapped fish in the center of a baking dish. Add the parboiled potatoes, and sprinkle them with freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
6. Place the baking dish (uncovered) into the hot oven and bake for 40 minutes.
If you like your potatoes super crispy, you can remove the fish onto a plate and cook them for an extra 5-10 minutes. Serve with side of salad and good white wine (we chose a Bolgheri Bianco- it went perfectly with the flavors of the fish). Buon appetito!
As always, thank you for reading!
C. De Melo
Author & Artist