Easy and Delicious Falafel Recipe
What are Falafels?
I have heard about Falafel in the past and although they seemed to be popular, I never actually tried them. Recently I found a cool recipe and I was amazed at the fact that I had all ingredients at home. With a bit of fear, I set out to try this amazingly easy recipe. I adjusted this recipe to suit my pantry, so feel free to add or remove ingredients, as long as the main ingredient remains.
I try to make these not too often because the frying involves extra calories that I don't need. Every once in a while when I crave something fried, this recipe does the trick and I don't feel as guilty for eating it because I know exactly what is in it.
So moving on.... Falafel is made from Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans. The good part of this is that Garbanzo beans are also the main ingredient in Hummus, they can be eaten on top of salads, or roasted for a tasty snack. In a nutshell, Garbanzo beans are awesome to have around the house. The ingredients for the Falafel are Garbanzo beans, parsley, onions, cumin, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Super easy!
- 1 can (15 oz) Chick Peas
- 1/2 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/2 Sprig of Parsley, Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- In a food processor place all ingredients and chop until all ingredients are well combined. You should have a fine grainy texture, not a paste. Make sure to not over mix.
- Place mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Form small balls or patties and set aside. Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the Falafels until golden brown. Try not to cook too many balls at the same time as this may cool the oil and the balls can come apart.
- Let the Falafel sit on a paper towel to soak up the oil. Serve as a side dish, or serve with pita and salad.
Did I mention how much I love Garbanzo beans?
These beans are so versatile. You can use them in salads, sauteed over white rice, and the list of things you can do with them is unending. If you are like me, often afraid to try new foods, give Garbanzos a try you won't regret it.