- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy, Moist Fig Cake Recipe
Moist Fig Cake with Spelt Flour
Fresh Figs are Also Very Goth
Our huge fig tree produces a few pounds of sweet, ripe and very purple figs every day for a fortnight. We eat them every which way, especially sliced-in-two and squashed on pizza bread with Parma ham. But you can't eat like this every day for two weeks (well, you can, but maybe you shouldn't).
One successful recipe for enjoying the figs, cooked, is based on a spelt bread we like to make a lot, which we've modified and call 'Easy Fig Cake' - because it is so easy (and because of the figs). Basically, we mix a handful of the fresh fruit with nutty flavored spelt flour and honey and bake. If you're buying the figs at the market - a half a dozen ripe ones are all you'll really need. It's seasonal yes, it's also very good for you - and it is strangely versatile (any time). Here are some ideas for when to enjoy Easy Fig Cake:
- Eaten fresh the same day (but cooled).
- Frozen until Christmas when it's rich, fruity flavor is Christmassy seasonal.
- Frozen till Labor Day and taken on a pic nic (nice with goats cheese) - or any kind of get together.
- It's very Goth, so dark enough for serving among like minded people - perhaps at Halloween or a Goth food party.
- Left over slices (?) are good grilled, served with coffee ice cream too.
Easy Fig Cake Recipe
- 6 - 8 figs, ripe (red if possible)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey, runny if possible
- 2 eggs, smallish
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, fine
- 1 fig, sliced
Cooking with Figs
Easy Fig Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mash quartered, semi peeled figs with the oil, honey and sugar until sloppy - yet the rinds are still a little intact.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- In a separate mixing bowl - mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix with a fork or spoon for no longer than a minute.
- Pour into a greased loaf shaped baking dish.
- Place a sliced fig on the top to decorate.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to Make Easy Fig CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Goth - Undead Subcluture
|Serving size: 270 grams|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 52 g||17%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Fig fruit comes from a rich, wild growing (as well as cultivated) tree which loves barren lands and sun and seems to grow in one's mind from bible stories and the past, like the lyre or lute or zyther do - and goats and poor shepherd boys.
Figs are the sweetest fruit. They grow profusely on one of the very first plants to be cultivated by man.
It's leaf is known to have covered Adam's private parts in the garden of Eden. (I knew there was something erotic about it).
The Romans ate dried figs and other dried fruits for their lunch, with perhaps a slice of sheep's cheese.
Figs are fed to geese for foie gras.
Not everyone has a nearby fig tree! Since they only grow around the Southern Mediterranean, the Middle East and California and the fresh fruit can't travel (it would mush), fresh figs are not easy to find, (or too expensive) in most open or produce markets - especially out of the summer season.
Dried figs taste just as good. The only major difference between a dried fig and a fresh one is its consistency.
A dried fig is toffeeish compared to a ripe fresh one, which is slushy, exotic.
Here are some tips on how to soften dried figs for cooking cakes, breads, stuffing or paté. Soaking them overnight will bring them to life beautifully.
Put the dried figs in a bowl and cover them with any of the following liquids:
- Cold tea - unsweetened
- Mild tasting fresh, fruit juice such as apple juice.
- White wine - not vinegary. Sweet white wine or champagne is fine.
- Rum or Madeira or even Port. And if you are making a pate with figs, then Sherry would be best.
To cook with them then, squeeze excess liquid from the figs and pat dry, very well. Although you can't use them dry, you can't use them 'wet' either - otherwise your bread or cake will be too moist to rise.
Buon appetito and if you like the sound of Easy Fig Cake Recipe, please rate!
Goth Food Quizzview quiz statistics
More Great Baking Recipes
- Awesome Goth Food Party Ideas
Uniquely contrived goth food ideas for your 'other', dark side party, even Halloween, with a menu and a recipe for a hot Nutella Sandwich Dobbed with Hot Black Fruits.
- Low Fat Pumpkin-Banana Bread Recipe
Made with EVOO and spelt flour and honey this Low Fat Pumpkin-Banana Bread Recipe is healthy, nutritious and very Halloween to look at. The natural properties of EVOO help clear blood vessels of cholesterol, so it's more than low fat and tastes nutti
- Garden Peach Cake
Recipe for a light, almond- crumbly sponge cake folded with freshly picked summer fruits - peach and grapes. It makes a festive midsummer festival party or tea cake!
- How to Make Italian Tomato Cake with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to make and bake Italian tomato cake with mozzarella, basil and extra virgin olive oil. Perfect food watching Italian football games cos of its patriotic green, red and white colors, Added recipes for same-color dishes'Caprese' and 'Pasta alla Ch
© 2012 Penelope Hart