Easy Chocolate Cake Recipes: Gourmet Chocolate Lava Molten Mini Cakes With Liqueur
Easy Gourmet Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes with Liqueur
For a quick and delectable gourmet dessert, try this recipe for Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes with Liqueur. This recipe is wonderful as is or can be revamped as noted below in many different ways.
I originally found this recipe as an advertisement for McCormick Saigon Cinnamon and saved it in my notebook. It was published in 2008 as a suggestion for using this particular brand of cinnamon.
The original recipe calls for Cabernet Sauvignon or other wine as the alcohol addition but I thought it might be better suited to Grand Marnier or another liqueur so I have always made my Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes that way.
But as with most recipes, there are many variations that you can do - see below. This is a sinfully delicious dessert that is whipped up in about 10 minutes max - then baked for 10-15 minutes. It is simple yet elegant and I think it will become one of your favorites as it has mine!
Photo Credit: Flickr Kim Siciliano
Recipe for Gourmet Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes with Liqueur
Serves 4 - Makes 4 6-ounce chocolate mini cakes
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 cube) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 cup confectioners sugar - sift through a wire strainer to remove lumps
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried orange peel
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter 4 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or mini-souffle dishes. Set dishes on baking sheet.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl or large measuring cup by cooking on high setting for 1 minute. Chocolate will probably not be melted yet, so just stir with a whisk until it melts in with the butter.
- Add liqueur, vanilla, and sugar. Whisk until very smooth and blended.
- Add the 2 eggs and egg yolk. Whisk until combined thoroughly.
- Stir in flour and spices. Whisk again until combined.
- Divide evenly among the 4 prepared cups or dishes.
- Bake for up to 15 minutes but check after 10 minutes. The cakes should be firm on the sides but soft in the middle.
- Let cool for 1 minute.
- Run knife around the edges and invert onto serving plates.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Ceylon Cinnamon versus Saigon Cinnamon
There are 2 types of cinnamon to choose from and really it is all a matter of personal preference as to which one is better than the other - or are they equally useful and delicious?
Many people prefer one or the other - Ceylon versus Saigon Cinnamon, which is otherwise known as cassia.
Ceylon cinnamon comes from places such as Sri Lanka.
Ceylon cinnamon is lighter in color and its sticks are thin and brittle.
Ceylon cinnamon is very popular in Latin American cooking.
Cassia is quite popular in the United States. It is also part of the Chinese 5-spice powder.
Cassia is a reddish brown in color and its sticks are rather like double scrolls in appearance - thick and hard.
Cassia comes from China or Southeast Asia and has been banned in some countries because it possesses a blood thinner called coumarin.
The health properties of cinnamon are the following:
- Natural anti blood clotting agent so good for circulation
- It is said to control insulin levels better so good for diabetes or prevention of
- Natural antibacterial so stops the growth of bacteria
- Natural preservative
- Contains calcium, fiber and iron as well as manganese and is said to help the fight against cancers, bowel syndromes, cholesterol and osteoporosis as well as heart disease
Ceylon cinnamon and Saigon cinnamon are interchangeable in any recipe. Again, it is a matter of taste as Ceylon cinnamon is thought to be milder than Saigon cinnamon.
Substitutions and Suggestions
I've made these cakes several times now and every way they turn out the same - delicious~!
These are some of my suggestions:
- Substitute chocolate chips for the baking chocolate - use this formula. 1 ounce of baking chocolate = 3 ounces of chocolate chips = 1/2 cup (Note - the texture may be a little different though using the chocolate chips)
- Use Amaretto instead of Grand Marnier - substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract and omit the dried orange rind
- Substitute 1/2 cup of egg substitute for the 2 eggs but use 1 egg yolk
- Oil the custard or souffle dishes with walnut oil for a delicious added burst of flavor
- Spray the insides of ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray instead of buttering
- Substitute Bailey's Irish Cream for the Grand Marnier
- Omit the ginger if you find you do not like the flavor of it with the chocolate cake
- Add sprinkling of walnuts or almonds to the cake when completed
- Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream to the tops of the finished cakes for a really delicious dessert
- Add several fresh raspberries to the top of the cake - raspberries and chocolate go fabulously together
- Substitute other liqueurs or different wine for the alcohol in the recipe - or substitute alcohol flavoring if desired rather than the real thing. Brandy or cognac also make wonderful molten lava cakes, especially if the brandy is flavored!
Summing Up Easy Gourmet Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes with Liqueur
This is one of the simplest desserts to make and also one of the most foolproof! I don't know too many people who don't love chocolate and you will find that your guests will be happy to indulge in a bit of decadence!
Combining chocolate with liqueur is a great way to infuse taste into the cake and gives it a little bit of elegance that would be missing otherwise. No matter what flavor liqueur you use or even wine, as suggested in the original recipe, the taste is subtle and the alcohol is released by baking. You end up with the flavor but not the alcohol!
A bit of sweetened whipped cream is a delicious and easy topping as well and you can flavor the whipped cream with a tad of brandy or other liqueur as well. That alcohol, however, will still be present in the cream.
You can find recipes all over the Internet and in cookbooks these days for these little delights. They are called Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes, Chocolate Molten Cakes, Chocolate Melting Cakes, or even Chocolate Fudge Cakes sometimes. There are many variations and I love trying them all.
Whatever way you choose to make Chocolate Molten Mini Cakes with Liqueur, I think you will be pleased with a wonderfully easy yet delicious dessert that you will get rave reviews on.
Enjoy! We all know that chocolate is good for us as well!
Molten Chocolate Cake
Molten Lava Cakes
Chili's Molten Chocolate Cake
More Chocolate Molten Cake Recipes
- Kick Coffee Into Your Cake: Recipes
Everyone loves delicious coffee cake! Yea, I'm talking about those cakes that are usually eaten with a cup of coffee. But what do people think about coffee-flavored coffee cake? From my experience: every...
- You Can't Go Wrong With Chocolate Cake
Worlds Best Chocolate Cake Here we make the worlds best chocolate cake in a 9
- Molten Lava Cake
Not long ago I got a website forwarded to me - it was for a molten lava cake and was tagged 'hint hint'. I took the hint. Then I ran with it. These are wonderful! I had seen them - but never imagined the...
- Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
Here is the recipe for one of the best chocolate cakes you will ever eat and that is Chocolate Lava Cake. This chocolate lava cake is one of the most irresistible desserts you will ever eat. Its liquid...
- Chocolate Cake Recipes
Chocolate cake is the most popular type of cake in the world. This is possible because chocolate is even favored in countries where dessert is not necessarily favored. It is believed the earliest cakes...
- Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes
Can we say Happy Accident, mon amis? Some things are destined, and in this case the Food Fairies guided my hand. I wanted a molten lava cake based on the red velvet so beloved in my Southern homeland - but...
- Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
An incredibly easy recipe from the Feb 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times: The ultimate dessert for serious chocolate lovers, molten cakes are the rage at trend-setting restaurants. Freezing the batter before...
- Recipe: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Sauce.
The chocolate cake made with this recipe. Quick and easy steps to make a delicious chocolate cake. Now stop bothering yourself with cake icings that are so difficult to get right and check out this cake with...
- Chocolate Cake with Creme Caramel
What would be more delicious and mouth watering than a chocolate cake? The answer would be a chocolate cake with crme caramel. One of the masterminds of dessert recipes came up with a way to mix them...