- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Graham Cracker Cookies Recipe
My Graham Cracker Recipe
- Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe
Here is a simple recipe for making homemade Graham Crackers. Enjoy!
You are probably reading this and wondering, “What is a graham cracker cookie? Is it a homemade graham cracker? Didn’t you already write about those?”
Well, graham cracker cookies are not homemade crackers (which, yes, I did just do a recipe for), they are cookies made out of crushed graham crackers. Now, you might be wondering why would someone take graham crackers and make cookies from them? Why not just eat the cracker?
Well, the long and short of it is this: Last week I was going to make a cheesecake, but I didn’t have any graham crackers for the crust, so I went to the store and bought a box. Later, I thought that I could have just make my own graham crackers instead of having to buy them. So, I did just that and made graham cracker, but now I have a bunch of graham cracker, that I needed to think of something to do with.
So, I thought that making cookies using graham crackers (similar to making oatmeal cookies) would be interesting, because I know that many times we find graham crackers in the cupboard and pass them up for a snack because they tend to be a bit boring (unless you’re making S’mores or using they for a crust of a pie).
So, bearing that in mind I figured making graham cracker cookies (with chocolate chips) would be a great way of using up some of these graham crackers in an unusual and rather tasty way.
NOTE: This recipe is actually a very good way of cleaning out the pantry if you want to use up stuff before it goes stale or bad. I know that graham crackers can dry out and taste more like cardboard after they are opened up.
1 cup (8 ounces by weight) of crushed graham crackers
1 cup of all-purpose flour
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
1 (one) whole egg
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of double acting baking powder
½ teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of whole milk or heavy cream
1 cup of chocolate chips, optional
1 cup of chopped nuts, optional
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F.
2. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a food processor, crush 8 ounces of graham crackers. (NOTE: This can be tricky, so the best thing to do is start small and work up to a cup of crushed graham cracker. I actually used homemade crackers, not store bought, so what I did was ground up two or three squares at a time and then filled up an 8 ounces measuring cup. Another option is to weight out 8 ounces of graham cracker, using a food scale, and then grind it all up.) Then set it aside.
4. Sift together, in a mixing bowl, the salt, baking powder, baking soda and the flour and set aside.
5. In a standing mixer, combine the stick of unsalted butter, the brown sugar, and the white sugar. Blend until it is all completely whipped.
6. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and blend together with the butter and sugars.
7. Add the flour mixture, in three equal parts, allow to fully mix before adding the next part.
8. Add the ground graham crackers, and mix.
9. Add the chocolate chips and nuts, if using them.
10. Scoop out a tablespoon sized amount of dough and place it on parchment paper lined cookie sheet (you should get a dozen on one sheet).
11. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
12. Allow them to cool for three minutes, before removing and eating. Keep in a ziplock bag.