- Food and Cooking
Quick And Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
When I was a kid, I loved coleslaw from Long John Silver’s. The only one we could go to was in Tracy, CA. Normally, we would get our coleslaw from KFC; I never enjoyed it as much as the Long John Silver’s coleslaw. I found the KFC one too bland, milky and soggy. A few years ago I found out that Long John Silver's was bought by KFC (or at least they merged). I went there to eat, looking forward to the coleslaw I liked so much, but alas, it was the KFC brand. I was crestfallen. So, I came up with my own recipe for coleslaw; not exactly the same a LJS’s. but better than the bland, milky type.
2 cups (16 oz.) red cabbage, shredded
2 cups (16 oz.) plain cabbage, shredded
1 cup (8 oz.) carrots, shredded
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup whole milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ to 1 tablespoon cracker black pepper (by preference)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine vinegar and mustard, whisk together
2. Add cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
3. Mix together; make sure all the ingredients incorporated.
4. Add cream and milk.
5. Add salt and pepper.
6. Mix together and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
7. Taste and re-season if desired.
8. Cover and refrigerate before serving.
9. When ready, serve coleslaw alongside, chicken, steak, potatoes or baked beans.
10. Place any used portions in an air tight container and refrigerate.
11. It should last 2-3 days.
More recipes by Edgar Arkham
- How To Make Homemade Vinaigrette
Here is a simple recipe to make a quick and easy vinaigrette or marinades salads. Enjoy!
- Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
This is my mother's recipe for potato salad, and it is far better than anything bought at the store. Enjoy.
- Homemade Deviled Eggs Recipe
Here is a recipe for easy homemade deviled eggs.They are great for a party and simple to make. Enjoy!
- Easy And Simple Homemade Thousand Island Salad Dress...
Most of us buy salad dressing from the store not realizing we can make it at home and make it taste even better than the store bought stuff. This is my recipe for Thousand Island. Enjoy!