- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipes
Do you enjoy drinking hot chocolate during the fall and winter? It is a delicious beverage that is not difficult to make at home. With a handful of ingredients and a little time, you'll be making it regularly for your whole family as well as your friends. I've included a wide variety of recipes here. Enjoy!
This article includes the following types of hot chocolate recipes:
How To Make Hot Chocolate From Scratch
Tips for Making Homemade Hot Chocolate
The Daily Meal offers seven great tips for making a perfect cup of hot chocolate. While you do not need to follow them to the letter every time that you make a homemade cocoa, even using one or two of them can make a big difference. As you get comfortable with the formula, you'll be able to experiment with it a little to make it your own.
Hot Chocolate Topping Ideas
There is no limit to the number of hot chocolate toppings that you can use, but here are a few of the most popular ones.
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Butterscotch syrup
- Crumbled cookies
- Crushed candy canes
- Cinnamon sticks
Complete your classic hot chocolate recipe with a pinch of salt!
One of the fun aspects of making a recipe at home is that you can customize it any way that you like. However, there is nothing wrong with sticking to a classic recipe, too.
- Duni's Studio. Duni shares her recipe for hot chocolate with us that has cinnamon and vanilla sugar. Vanilla extract also works well.
- Sing For Your Supper. If you enjoy thick hot chocolate that is like drinking melted chocolate, you'll have to try this recipe from Amy.
- The Road Forks. Give the classic a new take with cinnamon, dried red chili pepper, and brown sugar.
Have you heard of frozen hot chocolate? I hadn't before I started putting this article together. If you love the taste of hot chocolate but are in the mood for a cold drink, this is a great option.
- Brown Eyed Baker. Michelle has great suggestions for customizing this recipe to suit your personal tastes and preferences.
- Ice Cubes from Family Fresh Cooking. Make your frozen hot chocolate into ice cubes to enjoy in the drink of your choice.
- Live Love Pasta. Use evaporated milk and finish it off with whipped cream and miniature chocolate chips.
Learn how to make lots of frozen drinks.
You can add a sweet component to hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows.
In case hot chocolate isn't sweet enough for you on its own, this is a great way to kick the sweetness factor up another notch. You can substitute another dessert or candy flavor if you prefer. The possibilities are endless.
- Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate. This is a great way to combine two awesome desserts.
I know that it's a little strange to have a seasonal category in an article about a drink that is largely seasonal. However, there are a few types of hot chocolate that people like to make specifically for fall or winter.
If you're not ready to give up the wonderful fruit flavors from summer, put a little bit of them into your hot chocolate.
Put a different spin on your hot chocolate by making an international recipe.
- Italian. This variation uses corn flower and honey. You can also make a richer version with half and half.
- Mexican. If you live in or near a Hispanic neighborhood, you should be able to find a grocery store than carries Mexican chocolate.
- Mexican Spiked. If you want to add some alcohol to your Mexican hot chocolate, this is the recipe for you. This drink is a great combination of sweet and spicy.
Many people like to mix up the classic hot chocolate recipe by using white chocolate instead of milk or dark chocolate.
- Gimme Some Oven. This is a simple version of white hot chocolate. You can't go wrong.
- Cadbury. The Cadbury company has a decadent white hot chocolate recipe that uses a couple of their products. They recommend kicking it up a notch with a shot of espresso.
- White Spiked. A little rum will take your white chocolate to a new level. This recipe also has a unique touch with cardamom.
Betty's White Hot Chocolate
Having written a number of articles about beverages, I knew that I couldn't write this article without including a selection of alcoholic options.
- Rich n' Thick Adult Hot Chocolate. The recommended alcohols are Bailey's, peppermint schnapps, pumpkin liquor, and Southern Comfort. If you like a thicker drink, this one is for you.
- Not Your Kid's Hot Chocolate. A splash of rum gives hot chocolate just the right amount of kick.
- Grown Up Hot Chocolate With Homemade Bailey's Marshmallows. The homemade marshmallows are what make this recipe special.
- Spiked Hot Chocolate. Another great way to get a little alcohol in your hot chocolate is a shot of vodka in the whipped cream.
Drinking Chefs - Spiked Hot Cocoa
More great drink recipes from the author.
- Iced Coffee Drink Recipes
Are you looking for an iced coffee recipe? Make a delicious classic, sweet, seasonal, international, blended, or alcoholic coffee drink right at home.
- Iced Tea Drink Recipes
Make your own iced tea at home with one of these great recipes. There are classic recipes as well as winning combinations, fruit teas, international recipes, and alcoholic options.
- Sangria Recipe with Red Wine
Sangria is an easy, delicious summer beverage that you can enjoy any time during the summer. This recipe includes red wine and brandy.