Easy Homemade Pork Chow Mein
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 40 min
Yields: 5 servings
- 1 lb lean boneless pork
- 1 16oz can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 5oz can chow mein noodles
- 10 green onions, bias-sliced into 1" pieces
- 2 celery stalks, bias-sliced thinly
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Slice your boneless pork thinly across the grain so that you have bite size pieces. Prepare your sauce by stirring the water, soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch, bouillon granules, and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Set this sauce aside.
- Pour the cooking oil into the wok, and place it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add the ginger, and cook while stirring for 15
seconds. Add the celery, and cook while occasionally stirring for 2 minutes. Add the
onion and mushrooms. Continue to cook while stirring for an additional 1 to 2 minutes (until the celery is crisp-tender). Take the veggies out of your wok, and set them aside.
- Place half of your pork slices into the hot wok. Cook while stirring for 3 minutes or until you no longer see any pink. Remove the pork from the wok. Repeat this step with the remaining pork pieces.
- Return all of the pork to the wok, and form a well in the center (push the meat away from the center of your wok).
- Stir your sauce, and pour it into the center of the wok. Cook and stir gently until the sauce is thick and bubbly. Push the pork pieces in
toward the center. Add the cooked vegetables, canned bean sprouts, and water chestnuts. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve this
pork dish with chow mein noodles, and enjoy.
- To bias-slice something means to slice it at a 45 degree angle.
- Partially freezing pork will make it a bit easier to slice.
|Serving size: 2 cups with noodles |
|Calories ||480 |
|Calories from Fat||198|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 22 g||34%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 17 g|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 35 g||70%|
|Cholesterol 64 mg||21%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|