Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
A week or so ago, my girlfriend informed me that it was, “National ‘Sloppy Joe’ Day” and wanted them from dinner that night. I told to just go and pick up the canned “Sloppy Joe” mix and I’d use that, since it was kind of last minute. Afterwards, I thought I try my hand at making them myself. So here is how I would make them homemade; it’s pretty easy and doesn’t call from too many ingredients. Most of them you’d most likely have in the fridge anyway. This recipe makes a pretty big batch so you can, either (a) half all the ingredients, and just have a smaller amount, or (b) make the whole thing and have left-overs for the rest of the week (which is always good!).
2 lbs. ground beef (other options: ground turkey, bulk sausage, or even ground chicken)
1 cup tomato ketchup
1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 Teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 large red onion, diced
1-2 Green bell peppers, diced (remember to remove the membranes and seeds)
Tabasco sauce (optional)
Teaspoon Red pepper flakes (optional)
4-8 hamburger buns (toasted in desired)
1. In a large cooking pot or frying pan brown the ground beef with the onions, bell peppers.
2. Drain the cooked beef, onions, and peppers, and then return them to the cooking pot.
3. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, black pepper (tabasco, and red pepper flake optional). NOTE: if you are not sure about using the hotter spices wait until the mixture is ready to eat and taste and add a little to the desired level of heat)
4. Mix all ingredients together and cook on medium-low until mixture has thickened (around 10 minutes).
5. Taste and re-season (add the tabasco sauce and red pepper flake if desired).
6. To toast the buns either use and toaster oven (using the products instructions) or toast on the range using a frying pan on medium with a little butter is desired. It should only take roughly 1-2 minutes to toast to a golden brown.
7. Scoop the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the toasted buns and serve immediately.
More Recipes by Edgar Arkham
- Easy And Simple Homemade Thousand Island Salad Dress...
Most of us buy salad dressing from the store not realizing we can make it at home and make it taste even better than the store bought stuff. This is my recipe for Thousand Island. Enjoy!
- Quick, Easy, Plain and Simple Tuna Casserole Recipe
Here is a simple and easy recipe for a tuna casserole. Great for a day of the week. Enjoy!
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
Here is a recipe for homemade lasagna using some ground meat and sausage. Enjoy!
- Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
This is my mother's recipe for potato salad, and it is far better than anything bought at the store. Enjoy.