- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Easy Japanese Stuffed Mushroom (Shiitake Nikozume) Recipe
Shiitake mushroom is versatile vegetable packed with protein, vitamins and minerals. As one of the East Asian delicacy, this fungi also known as medicinal mushroom. Due to meaty texture and woodsy flavor, they make a great meat substitute. Commonly shiitake serve in stir-fry dishes, soup, and for making vegetarian stock.
Do you love mushroom and want to try something new ?. Give shiitake a try. Because they have wide umbrella-shaped cape, this woodsy veggie is suitable for stuffed dishes such as Shiitake Nikozume or Japanese stuffed mushroom. This dish is very simple and easy to make. You will need no time to fix it but the result is superb. Japanese stuffed mushroom will make a great appetizer or as finger food.
What You Need
6 oz ground chicken
4 oz ground shrimp
2 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp cooking oil
18 fesh shiitake mushrooms
6 tbsp shoyu
2 tbsp rice vinegar
black pepper to taste
1 cup water
How to Fix
- In a mixing bowl, break the egg and beat it lightly. Add chicken and shrimp ground. Mix it to combine. Then add in scallions and grated ginger. Mix it gently.
- Break off the mushroom stems. If you are using dried shiitake, steep them in warm water at least about 30 minutes until they are adequate soft. If you are using fresh shiitake, wipe each caps with damp paper towels. You can discard the stems or it can be used to make flavorful mushroom stock.
- Fill in each mushroom cavity with chicken mixture. A heaped teaspoon or two will enough but depend on the size of the mushrooms.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, put a tablespoon cooking oil and set it over medium-high heat. When the cooking oil is ready, put in the mushroom caps with stuffed-side down. Cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Then turn the caps over and pour in 1 cup of water. Continue to cook until the liquid is bubbling. Lower the heat, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and soy sauce.
- Transfer the mushroom on a serving platter and our the soy sauce mixture over. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
How to pick Shiitake mushroom
How to reconstitute dried shiitake mushroom
More Asian Recipes
- Quick and Easy Indonesian Tumis Kangkung - Morning Glory Stir Fried Recipe
- Easy Homemade Vietnamese Chicken Stock Recipe(Nuoc Dung Ga)
- Vietnamese Shrimp Fried Rice (Com Chien Tom) Recipe
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
- Cooking with Kids - Quick and Easy French Toast Recipe
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
- Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe (Goi Ga)
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
- Vietnamese BBQ Pork (Thit Xa Xiu) Recipe