Easy Kale Chips
Easy Kale Chips
If you want to eat healthy, but want something that has the crunch of chips, kale is something to consider.
Our neighbor gave us a bunch out of their garden a few weeks ago, and I was excited. I wanted to make something healthy, but without a lot of work or fuss. Plus, I wanted something the kids would eat.
I came across a few recipes that required using olive oil to make chips out of the kale, but I wanted something with less calories. Since kale is already super low on calories, I did not want to add hundreds of oil calories. Even though olive oil is good for you, the calories do add up.
Experimenting as I always do, I thought about using spray oil. Not the fanciest item to use, but it has a lot less calories!
Below is what I came up with.
- 3-4 stalks kale, washed and dried
- spray oil
- garlic powder
- salt, optional
- Wash kale and let dry.
- Cut kale off of the spine that runs down the middle. Cut leaves into chip size pieces with kitchen scissors.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cooking sheet with spray oil. If you want, you may also spray kale with the oil (it does help the spices adhere to the leaves better, but this is optional).
- Place leaves on cooking sheet.
- Sprinkle leaves with seasonings.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on oven) until leaves are crispy.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
- Chips can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days. They do lose some crispiness over time, so enjoying them immediately is recommended.
|Serving size: 1 cup (chopped)|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Feel free to use whatever herbs/seasonings you prefer.
Other spices that work are: