- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Lemon Chicken with Olives
This is a delicious, vibrant chicken recipe, that raises the standard chicken and rice to a whole new flavorful level. The brininess of the olives, and the bright hit of lemon make this Mediterranean inspired meal great for entertaining.
Gweneth Paltrow recently cooked a similar recipe while visiting The Chew, although she used bone-in, skin on chicken. My preference for this recipe is chicken thighs, because they never dry out, and the meal can simmer on the stove while you are entertaining guests.
The pictures are of chicken breast, and my olives were stuffed with garlic, because that is what I had on hand. Make sure the liquid simmers, and not boils, whenever the chicken is in the pot, to prevent the meat from getting tough.
Also it is crucial to only add the lemon juice at the very end, so it does not get bitter. The zest on the other hand, is added early on, to impart a lot of lemon flavor. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in large pieces, or
- 10- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 head garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cup + 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3/4 cup green olives
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a heavy dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Generously season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Brown in pan for 5 minutes per side. They do not need to be cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate. Add onion pieces, and generously salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium low until begin to soften 5 minutes. Add the garlic cloves that were gently smashed with the side of a big knife. Cover and continue to cook another 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan, and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon. Reduce the liquid by half over a few minutes. Turn the heat up to medium or medium high to speed this along. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the 2 cups of stock, the olives and the zest of the lemon. Cover and turn to low, simmer for 20 minutes, or up to 2 hours if using chicken thighs
- Remove the chicken to a plate again. Mix together the 2 tablespoons chicken stock and the cornstarch until combined. Add to the pan and bring to a boil for a minute or two to thicken the liquid. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Just before serving, squeeze the juice of the entire lemon over top, and tuck the lemon halves in the liquid. Serve over rice.
Other Delicious Chicken Dishes
- Italian Chicken and Peppers
This is another stove top easy chicken dish that is a crowd pleaser. Serve with pasta.
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
This slow cooker dish is a crowd pleaser, and can even be used for entertaining. Chicken, sausage, potatoes and caramelized onions, with peas, lemon zest and parsley to finish. Yum!
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delicious traditional Mexican soup made easy with rotisserie chicken. Cooks effortlessly in the slow cooker while you go about your day!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas with a Rotisserie Chicken
This is another tasty chicken recipe that has become one of our family's favorites.