- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Quick Homemade Candy Recipes
Step by Step Quick Homemade CandyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Easy Candy Gift
Looking for a quick personal gift? These home made candies take less than 15 minutes to make and taste delicious. Anyone can make home made chocolates using this simple recipe. Moreover, you can use this recipe to have a large group make candy together. I've taught candy making to groups of moms, teenagers and kids and everyone had a great time and felt successful and had fun.
Easy Mix-in Candy
Cook Time for Quick Home Made Candy
Ingredients for Quick Home Made Candy
- 2 squares candy chocolate, or 1/2 cup chocolate chips or candy coating
- 1/2 cup Mix-ins of any variety including:, (marshmallows, crushed Oreo, caramel bits, nuts, toffee bits, crushed peppermints, coconut, etc.
- 1 TB decorations, (sprinkles, M & M's, contrasting chocolateO
Instructions for Quick Home Made Candy
- Making Easy Mix-In Candy is simple. You melt the chocolate (two squares of chocolate coating makes about 12 -16 candies, depending on your mix-ins), stir in the mix-ins and put the candy in mounds on foil or in candy cups.
- Decorate and then stick in the freezer for a few minutes. In about ten minutes, you have candy ready to eat, serve at a party or package as a gift.
Easy Home Made Candy Ideas
1.Rocky Road—nuts and mini marshmallows
2. Oreo Cookies (or other sandwich cookies)—crushed lightly with rolling pin
3. Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds or hazelnuts all work well)
4. Nuts and raisins or other dried fruit
5. Coconut (with or without nuts)
6. Toffee bits (buy these near the chocolate chips)
7. Peppermint candies crushed in blender (usually use white chocolate for this and pour out on foil.If not pink enough, you can add a drop of red food coloring.Freeze until firm and then break up bar into pieces. (Optional: for a two-colored chocolate, while still warm, you can pour over melted dark chocolate),
9. Caramel bits
10. Butterscotch or peanut butter chips (let the coating cool a bit and don't mix too much. Or you can put these in the bottom of a candy cup and pour the melted chocolate on top.
11. Turtles: Put a couple of pecans on the bottom of a candy cup and put 1/2 of a caramel square on top (flatten it a bit), then pour on chocolate.
Ideas Packaging Candy for Gifts
You can also put these candies in any sort tin, a plate or plastic container. To package them nicely, put the finished candies into paper candy cups and place on a plate or in a decorative tin.
Another quick packaging idea is to reuse a jar. You can include Snowman Soup with your candies, and also use cookie cutters for molds for candy.
Choosing Chocoate for Candy Making
You can use any type of chocolate for making this candy. Candy coating melts the easiest, but doesn't taste as good. Often, I'll combine candy coating with chocolate chips for a better taste but easy melting.The better the quality of the chocolate the better the candy tastes; however, candy coating melts and sets up the easiest. My favorite chocolate for tastes is Guittard or Ghirardelli semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.Sometimes the cheaper chips won’t firm up as well, but if you add a little candy coating to the mix, it can help.
Candy Making with a Group
When I'm making a lot of candy for gifts or for teaching people how to make candy, I will use the candy coating because it stays melted longer and makes it easier for people just getting started. I melt a whole pound of chocolate. Usually, I melt 1 pound for one minute—but be careful since it is easy to burn the chocolate.Test your microwave by using 20-30 sec.at a time.Stir before melting more.You want the chocolate to be smooth, but just barely melted.
Problems Melting Chocolate
How to Fix White Streaks in Chocolate: White streaks does not mean the chocolate is bad. It just means the ingredients have separated. It is perfectly good to use after you melt it and mix the chocolate together again. To avoid white steaks, be sure to take chocolate out of the freezer or refrigerator just as it gets hard.
Melted Chocolate is too Hard: This might mean you microwaved it too long and burned the chocolate. If that is the case, you will probably see a burned place and smell burned chocolate. Take that burned part out before mixing and you probably can use the rest of the chocolate. If you don't think you've burnt it, you may have a brand of chocolate that doesn't melt as well. Luckily, if you add a little milk (add a teaspoonful at a time), and butter (or cream) you can usually fix this.
Melted Chocolate too runny: You may have heated it a bit too much. Let it cool and it will set up. However, if you've added milk, you may have added too much. Depending on how much you use, this may make the chocolate too liquid to set up for candy, but it can still be a great chocolate sauce for dipping or on ice cream. Just add butter and milk or cream until it is the consistency you want.
How Long does Chocolate Last?
It is best not to wait too long to give your candies as gifts. A few days is fine, but a week can make your candy not taste as good.Sometimes temperature changes can make white streaks on chocolate.This does not make the chocolate “go bad” but it doesn't look very good.