- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Easy Naan Bread
The Story - Why I Wanted to Try Naan
I really am new to Naan Bread - but found one at a little bakery shop - and loved it so much that every time I pass I just have to buy one piece of their Naan bread. It is not crispy like most traditional Naan breads, but just so flavoursome.
- 1 1/2 cups Warm water
- 3 cups Plain Flour
- 7g Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup Grated tasty cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle of Sesame seeds
- In a clean bowl add the sugar, yeast and warm water and gently mix. Let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes. It should become a little frothy.
- Add the sugar and flour and mix. with a wooden spoon or with clean hands until it is all together in a sticky ball.
- Leave in the bowl and cover with tea towel and keep warm for about an hour.
- After one hour, put the mixture on a floured board and punch it down. Then divide into 4 - 6 balls.
- With each ball, roll out flat and using a rolling pin roll it until it is about 1/4 inch thick. (I like it thick so mine was about 1/2 inch thick) It should be 6 - 9 inches long.
- Put on an oiled tray, and add thinly sliced onion, grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put in the oven on hot for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- You can cook on skillet or electric fry pan, but I prefer the oven method.
A creative cook will find other things to add to the top of the bread - just cheese, tomato and basil. Be creative.