- Food and Cooking
Easy Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken and Dumplings
Vote for this homestyle favorite.
Just like Mom used to make, only easier.
I adapted this recipe to make it easier to enjoy Chicken and Dumplings anytime without the need to slave over a hot stove all day. This version uses Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles and canned chicken broth for that all day simmered taste. There is a great tavern in my area that serves Chicken and Dumplings every Wednesday during the Fall and Winter months. This recipe has all the taste without all the fuss.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings with Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles.
- 5 Chicken Thighs, baked and pulled from bone.
- 1 cup Celery, Chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Bay Leaf, Whole
- 2 10-14 oz Cans Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 48 oz. Can Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Half and Half
- 1 Package Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Putting it all together.
- In a 6 quart pot. Start by heating the butter and olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add the Celery, Carrots and Onion. Sautee until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Put in the garlic and cook until the smell of garlic fills the room, about 3 mins.
- Now add the Cream of Chicken Soup, bay leaf and the Chicken Broth. Bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer.
- Next comes the Chicken, Half and Half and the package of noodles, salt and pepper to taste, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh Italian or French bread and butter. Enjoy!!!