- Food and Cooking
Easy Portobello Mushrooms
My Mozzarella Mushrooms
I came up with this idea when I opened my refrigerator one day and remembered that I had an entire container of Portabello mushrooms to use up. This was the first time I had ever purchased the large, meaty mushrooms, and didn't quite know what to do with them. This is what I came up with, with the ingredients that I already had at home.
Equipment and Ingredients:
1. Must use saucepan that can go into the oven.
2. Lg. Container of large or medium sized Portabello Mushrooms (you can find these in your produce section near lettuce, carrots, etc. typically in some type of styrofoam container).
3. 1-2 C. Mozzarella cheese (amount depends on your own tastes) I like lots of cheese!
4. 1 bunch of Green onions (otherwise known as scallions).
5. 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
6. 1/4 stick of butter or 3-4 Tbsp. margarine
First, grab a spoon from your silverware drawer, and gently scrape the black gills from under the cap of the mushrooms. These gills taste like dirt and dye everything they touch, black. Gross! Next, give the mushrooms a quick rinse under the tap. You can either pat the mushrooms dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel, or simply let them dry for a few minutes on a towel at room temperature. Chop green onions.
Turn your oven on to Broil setting. Spray the bottom of your pan with buttery cooking spray. On Med-Hi heat, toss mushrooms and butter (or marg.) for about 4 minutes, or until slightly dark in color. Incorporate Mozzarella cheese all over mushrooms, covering mushrooms completely. Sprinkle with green onions. Toss into oven under the broiler for approximately 5-8 minutes, ovens may vary. When cheese is brown and bubbly on top, they're done!
Serves 4-8. Use as wonderful sidedish or eat as a meal!
Voila! Talk about yummy! Enjoy:)